Turkey - Temp and time?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hb2301

Assistant Cook
I've cooked tons of ribs, pulled pork and brisket. I've done some chicken but it always wound up with rubber skin. I've heard that I need to cook it at a higher temp. I'm thinking of doing a turkey this weekend and need some advice on what temp to use. I'm thinking around 300 or so. Am I close? Also, how much time do you think I'll need? I'm cooking on a WSM.

By the way, I just ordered a Stoker tonight. I wish it would be here by this weekend but it looks like it will be a couple of weeks.

Thanks.

Joe

Joe, I roll around 300-350F With no water pan in the WSM. Here is a pic of the last 12 pound turkey I did.

img_221626_0_556f66612d1b77de2b5eee4ea4972fd4.jpg

Think that took about 3hrs to get to 165F in the thigh. Nice crispy skin. I let it sit with a loose foil tent for about 20min,then had at it with the knife. Think I used apple and olive wood on that one,as I sometimes grow tired of hickory. Good Luck.

Pigs

Pigs is 100% right on. Keep an eye on that pan cause it can fill up with drippings, lower your temps and steam your skin, I used a drip pan above the water pan too. I actually went back to the Kettle using smaller 14-16 lb birds. I cooked as hot as possable. Started out 475 and was at 350 by the end of the cook. 2.5 hours and krispy skin. You may need to tent with foil if it gets too dark.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Joe, I roll around 300-350F With no water pan in the WSM. Here is a pic of the last 12 pound turkey I did.

Think that took about 3hrs to get to 165F in the thigh. Nice crispy skin. I let it sit with a loose foil tent for about 20min,then had at it with the knife. Think I used apple and olive wood on that one,as I sometimes grow tired of hickory. Good Luck.

Pigs

Pigs is that no water pan or no water in the pan?

No water in the pan. I think it works as a buffer from the grease dripping on the coals causing a flair up. So yes, I run the water pan dry. Right, or wrong, It work's for me.

Pigs

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom