Wedding Pork Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Smokey Lew

Head Chef
My son is getting married on the 19th of this month and he asked if I would contribute some Q for the reception. I decided to do some pork butts and have all the makings for pulled pork sandwiches, including KC coleslaw, Suckle Busters BBQ Sauce and Rev. Marvin's sauce.

I'm also doing a modified "Awesome Eggplant Rollatine" dish that's to kill for. There's going to be about 150 guest and half of them are vegetarians. That explains the eggplant dish. My modification is that I'm laying the eggplant slices flat instead of rolling them. It tastes just as good this way and it saves a lot of time by not rolling them.

Here's a link to the eggplant recipe: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Awesome-Eg ... etail.aspx

Anyway, there are other friends of my son and his fiancee who will be bringing some dishes so I don't have to account for everything. Plus, the reception is not a traditional sit down dinner. The wedding is in the evening and the reception doesn't start until about 8:30 P.M. My son and all their friends are weirdo late night people who usually don't get to bed until the sun starts to come up. I think it's the whole vampire thing. :twisted:

I will post more pictures after the butts have had a chance to do their thing.

Here's a shot of wedding pork butts 3 & 4. Butts 1 & 2 were cooked and pulled a couple of weeks ago and they are vacuum sealed and in the deep freeze waiting to be revived the day of the weeding.

Here's a shot of smoke leaking by my WSM door. After a quick bend it fit like a glove and the smoke leak was fixed.

Okay, after 11 hours in the smoke and two wrapped in foil inside the ice chest, I finally pulled the pork. This is one of two trays.

I used SB Hoocie Mama Rub and injected the butts with Kosmo's Pork Injection mixed with apple juice. They came out really nice. I'm going to vacuum seal all of it and put it to rest in the deep freeze until the day of the wedding. Thanks for all your nice comments.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Looking good Lew. Out of them half vegetarians there is also most likey a large percentage who are raw vegans. They will need a big spinach salad with all the raw veggies you got laying around along with some XXX Greek Virgin Olive Oyl Orangic of course and some Braggs raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar for a dressing.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looking good Lew. Out of them half vegetarians there is also most likey a large percentage who are raw vegans. They will need a big spinach salad with all the raw veggies you got laying around along with some XXX Greek Virgin Olive Oyl Orangic of course and some Braggs raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar for a dressing.

bigwheel
Yea I've been warned about the vegans. So far I've been ignoring them but I guess I need to do something for them. Thanks for the suggestion.

Funny I feel the same way about vegetarians :LOL:, Butts lookin good Lew..if there are any left overs cause the veggies and the vegans did not eat it, i'll be more then happy to take them off ur hands lol

Vermin999 said:
Nice. How many butts are you planning on cooking ?
Hey Vermin, I'm thinking about six butts will do. There's going to be other stuff there and six should probably be good for 70 sammies or so. I don't think people will be eating large quantities at that late hour. Will see.

Smokey Lew said:
Vermin999 said:
Nice. How many butts are you planning on cooking ?
Hey Vermin, I'm thinking about six butts will do. There's going to be other stuff there and six should probably be good for 70 sammies or so. I don't think people will be eating large quantities at that late hour. Will see.

6 butts will give you way more than 70 sammies. You will be getting around 20 sammies per butt.

If God had wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made shooting broccoli more fun. None the less good job Lew and it was smart to consider something for the vegans.

Griff said:
If God had wanted us to be vegetarians, he would have made shooting broccoli more fun. None the less good job Lew and it was smart to consider something for the vegans.

That's the best line I have herd in a long time. You could make a ton of dough with that on a T-shirt Bob!

Pigs

Butts are lookin' mighty fine Smokey
Lew
Your son & friends are in for a
real treat!

8)

I'll be anxious to see how many you do and the yield. I'm having a party late in July and was hoping to do 6 butts 8 or 9 lbs each and do them on on my 22.5 WSM. I'll keep an eye out for your cook Lew.

Looken good lew. I'd come out to help but I have another gig that day. A good sammie needs about 1/4 lb per person. So a 10lb uncooked shoulder will yield 50% (5lbs) and will serve 20 sammies....

Back
Top Bottom