Big cook coming up....Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Gonna be cooking for around 25 people on May the 8th. So I planned to buy enough meat for 30 people. Its going to be butts and spare ribs. Now I am not sure on how to figure up how many punds of boston butts thats going to be needed and how many racks of spares are needed. Hoping someone can give me a rough estimate, never cooked this much before.

Next question....We will be eating around 2:00 p.m on May 8th, how long should I give myself for cooking to be safe? I know I can hold the butts for several hours in a cooler.

Do yall think a dry rub rib will be best for this event? Just let them sauce their own ribs?

Thanks for looking

Well the normal serving size of spare ribs is half a rack per adult eater but that be with ribs alone. Since you also be having pushed pork think you could safely short em on the ribs down to 1/4 rack per person. Cut them in single bone increments and put em at the far end of the serving line and it be good to have some portion control at least on the ribs. I would plan on a pound per person of bone in butts and let em eat pushed pork sandwiches till they puke. Just guard the ribs. You could precook and freeze the butts. Ribs is best fresh cooked. Takes me 7 hours minimum to cook ribs. Person could do the math to know whut time you need to start cooking but there is a lot of unknown variables involved to be overly accurate.

bigwheel

3 bones per person, or 10 racks, 2, 8 pound butts with buns, a little sauce,... chuck in a side or 2,a few beers, and you're done

bigwheel said:
Well the normal serving size of spare ribs is half a rack per adult eater but that be with ribs alone. Since you also be having pushed pork think you could safely short em on the ribs down to 1/4 rack per person. Cut them in single bone increments and put em at the far end of the serving line and it be good to have some portion control at least on the ribs. I would plan on a pound per person of bone in butts and let em eat pushed pork sandwiches till they puke. Just guard the ribs. You could precook and freeze the butts. Ribs is best fresh cooked. Takes me 7 hours minimum to cook ribs. Person could do the math to know whut time you need to start cooking but there is a lot of unknown variables involved to be overly accurate.

bigwheel
Sounds like bigwheel has it down. Would like to know bigwheel's procedure for 7 hour ribs. Sounds like a long time but after reading a lot of bigwheel's posts, the rib procedure is probably a trade secret. My bet is they come out great!

Well I just give a mustard slather and rub. Cook em meat side down at somewhere in the general vicinity of 260 till they get done (as attested by the point when a person can reach in with both hands and heat resistant gloves and fairly easily tear the meat twixt two adjacent bones in the middle of the rack) then wrap and allow to swelter in the hot box for a few hours one absoloute minimum..try to cool em down gradual and throw back on the fire for a last miniute glaze. Ok to flip once at that point.

bigwheel

Thanks for the suggestions gents. Bigwheel do you not foil your ribs? I cant tell a difference in taste, just the foiled ribs get done a little faster.

Thanks

For home eating I foil but not until they are done. Back in the old comp days I tended to use the 3-2-1-1 method which can vary a bunch depending on the size of the racks..pit temps etc. but generally 3 in the smoke..2 in the foil wih some apple cider and brown sugar..one to rest in the hotbox..and one to do the glazing even though the glazing dont take that long on most occasions.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom