Regarding Rib Prep.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

californiagrillin

Senior Cook
How many of you use white vinegar to wash your ribs? Is this standard procedure or preference? I've yet to see this procedure mentioned in any of the posts I've read. Also, when ribs have been rubbed and are ready to sit in fridge for a few hours, should you wrap in foil or saran wrap? I've seen both mentioned in different posts and in several books. Is this also preference or is there an advantage from one over the other?

I only did the white vinegar wash once on a rack of ribs. I think it was mentioned to do that in the book "Low & Slow". I just rinse them in water, pat them dry and then prep them now. After I have rubbed them down, I put them in a glass pyrex dish and cover with plastic wrap before putting them in the fridge. That's done just to keep things from dripping on them or other strange things lurking in the shadows of the fridge from pouncing on them.

I usually just rinse under cold water. After rubbing, 9 times out of 10 I will wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate. If I'm really lazy I'll just throw them in a disposable aluminum pan and foil the pan.

I once read that if you opened a cryovac package of pork and it had an off smell, that you could use white vinegar to rinse the pork and that should take care of the smell. I've only had that happen to me once and they smelled so bad that I didn't think there was enough vinegar in the world to get rid of it, so I never tried it.

Exposure to air will also neutralize the smelly ribs..if they have a sulphur type smell. Thats normal as is dependent on how long the ribs was in the cryo. Now if you get a rotten cheese smell which dont improve when exposed to air..that is a problem which the butchers call having soured. Can be cuzed by a pin hole leak in the cryo..which cryo nowadays is a lot thinner than back in the good old days of course...so that problemo happens fairly frequent. Can also be attributed to some pimply faced stocker who hold them at room temp too long. I like to pop them outta the cryo brane and St Louisize em...slather with mustard and rub and roll em up jelly roll style. They get an overnight swelter inside a tightly knotted double trash bag in either the ice box or ice chest. Easy peasy huh? Save the white vinegar for why the Lord made it which is for cleaning out electric Mr. Coffee gizmos.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
... Save the white vinegar for why the Lord made it which is for cleaning out electric Mr. Coffee gizmos.
[bigwheel

Another use is splashed upon cold Boston baked beans ... OMG !!!! NOM! You can also smear some cold beans onto some bread, hit with vinegar, and top with mayo. (A family favorite for generations)

Sorry for the threadjack.

No problemo from my perspective anyway. Knew there was bound to be some use for white vinegar other than as a feminine hygeine type product. Vividly recall the hardest whupping my Daddy ever gave my Mama was when she refilled the peppa sauce bottle with the evil liquid in question. My
Daddy of course immediately smelled a rat and since it looked clear figgered she had filled it up with water. That made me forever skerred of the stuff. I may be permanantly scarred pyschologically speaking.

bigwheel

I wash with water and pat dry sometimes and sometimes just remove from the package and start prepping them. After they're rubbed, the pan they're in gets covered with saran wrap and put in the fridge for whatever length of time it is before smokers ready. As far as white vinegar goes, a cap full in a bowl of chili is delicious!!!

Back
Top Bottom