Lamb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rag1

Executive Chef
My wife bought a 'leg of lamb' today. I was thinking of slow cooking it on the WSM. Any ideas if this will work? Any suggestions on rubs?
I was thinking of cooking it like a comp brisket.

I did 3 lamb shanks recently on the top shelf with absolutely no rub. Lamb is a delicate flavour, and did very very well with just the smoke.

I’ve never smoked one. I typically cook it on the rotissiere with a butter, rosemary, garlic, and white wine mop sauce. Please let us know how it turns out.

Do NOT use a heavy smoke. Use Apple or something light and cook it at a higher temp and pull when internal temp hits 130 max. In my opinion, hickory or oak will ruin and oversmoke Lamb. Just my experience.

If it were me.... I would remove the water pan on the WSM and let it cook on the top grate and add some light wood to the fire. The drippings from the meat will flavor the fire, but the fire will be so far away it will not char the meat.

Olive oil, lemon juice & white wine vinegar. Marinate it for one day in a baggie. Then rub with more olive oil and oregano and salt. stab it also and cram garlic in the holes... Cook on the pit like anything else around 350 degrees till done.. You will love it and me!! :)

One common thread here, and on the weber forum, is cook to internal temp of 135* to 140*. The internal of 200* I guess is a no no.
Also seems the legs are boned, or butterflied, and then stuffed.
I'll try SS's method, and add a touch of apple smoke.
Maybe get to it next week after these storms are past.

I agree. Lamb is a low temperature, high moisture cook. My last pictures show 3 lamb shanks, smoke only. The flavour is delicate, so I didn't want to cover it up with a rub. They were a little tough to get into, but with a knife, they were good. I'm surprised that pit people don't do more lamb. It's a great meat.

Glad to hear you cooking it out doors. Last and only time I tried one was down at Corpus in the early 70s or thereabouts. It was a high dollar leg off a Spring Lamb from Kiwi Country. It stunk up the whole block to where several was close to calling the cops on me. It was like trying to cook a javelino hawg (or Collard Peccaries as we call em out here in the sticks. They aint really pigs ya know?). I would take it back to the store and demand to exchange it for brisket/butt or two. If they need witnesses about why humans was not designed to eat sheep/lamb/mutton etc. have em contact an old boy named Robert Breedermeyer in Sweetwater, TX. He can splains the ramifications of the proposed endeavor much mo succinticly than others. The name of his cookteam is "We Don't Cook Sheep". Whilst we on the topic the big Snattlerake Cookoff is going on out there soon. Maybe starting today. Who knows? It takes the Wade Family to cook decent snake meat.

bigwheel

I used to eat rabbit when I lived in Switzerland. Humans will starve on that meat as some of the protein we can't assimilate. It tastes horrible as well. I'm a huge fan of lamb and mutton, the latter into curries.

Hmmm. Now I love a good cottontail rabbit above most other meats but I did hear the rumor about rabbit protein being flawed in some way. Could anybody bother to enlighten us to the biology of the situation? Thanks. Do know from reading my favorite Hippy Publication i.e. The Mother Earth News..that a person can raise 10 thousand rabbits on the same amount of Alfalfa it take to bring one big old fat dead cow to the dinner table. Have heard some claim a tame rabbit is mo betta. Can't testify either way on that deal cuz I dont eat chillins Pets. Now it coulda been a thousand bunnys come to thunk on it. Actually if a person want to eat meat on a regular basis it be far healthier to eat it raw. Cookstoves was designed to kill folks. If you feed a Tiger cooked meat it will die. Same deal with humans.

bigwheel

No, you are wrong again. Rabbit meat isn't "flawed". It serves the rabbit pretty well. Us, as humans, can't assimilate the protein by not being able to digest it. That, is science. Eating raw meat means you have to digest it even more. Cooking meat helps a lot in digestion.

My suggestion is that you eat hippies. They're everywhere, and you can follow them by their scent.

bigwheel said:
Glad to hear you cooking it out doors. Last and only time I tried one was down at Corpus in the early 70s or thereabouts. It was a high dollar leg off a Spring Lamb from Kiwi Country. It stunk up the whole block to where several was close to calling the cops on me. It was like trying to cook a javelino hawg (or Collard Peccaries as we call em out here in the sticks. They aint really pigs ya know?). I would take it back to the store and demand to exchange it for brisket/butt or two. If they need witnesses about why humans was not designed to eat sheep/lamb/mutton etc. have em contact an old boy named Robert Breedermeyer in Sweetwater, TX. He can splains the ramifications of the proposed endeavor much mo succinticly than others. The name of his cookteam is "We Don't Cook Sheep". Whilst we on the topic the big Snattlerake Cookoff is going on out there soon. Maybe starting today. Who knows? It takes the Wade Family to cook decent snake meat.

bigwheel

Jeff, your suppose to butcher it BEFORE you cook it! :LOL:

Hmmm..I wondered why that sheep bloated up so big. I will take out the guts next time. Now back to the rabbit deal..cooking meat do not in any way aid in it's digestion. In fact once it gets past 140 the heat kills the digestive enzymes in the meat. In other words if you eat it raw it will digest itself. Cooked meat has to draw upon stored enzymes from the host..which means less enzymes to perform other vital body functiions.

bigwheel

bigwheel, don't try to guess at science. It makes you look foolish. Cooking meat does indeed help digest meat. Eating raw meat doesn't mean it will digest itself. Where you got that lame-ass explanation, I have no clue. Minimal physiology in high school will probably do.

Lamb and mutton are not the same. The smell and taste of mutton will buckle your knees.

Since I'm not adding much smoke to the leg of Lamb, is there any benefit to cooking it in the WMS? Seems like it just be run through the kitchen oven.

Depends if you like it or not. I love mutton. Mutton in curry is brilliant. Why would you put it into a smoker if you are hardly adding any smoke? What's the point of adding little smoke?

Back
Top Bottom