Commercial bbq?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry D.

Head Chef
I had an interesting visit to a commercial bbq plant today.
They buy pork butts in 2,000 pound casks, slow cook them in gas-fired pits, remove the bones by hand. The butts are then "pulled" in a machine, or chopped, and mixed with one of their several types of sauce. The finished product is packed in 5-pound plastic containers for sale to groceries and restaurants. I'd never seen so many pork butts in one place at one time. And not a single one gets exposed to any real smoke; they add liquid smoke to the sauce. So, it's interesting, but "it ain't 'cue."

I for one are glad that garbageq is being produced in large quantities. Had a customer say one time " This is way better than Lloyds in the tub from the store" Me being the calm person that I'am called him a a$$hole. Covered with a quick "Ask for more" They now are regular customers.

These pits were basically gas-fired ovens. The butts are on stainless steel carts that are rolled inside, then the door is closed and they are cooked by gas heat alone. The temperature is pre-programmed, it doesn't stay at the same temperature throughout the cooking process. All the drippings go through a drain system in the floor, where they are collected for later disposal. If you cooked a butt in a roasting pan in your oven, you'd get basically the same result. :badgrin:

Back
Top Bottom