stuck between two smokers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flboy

Assistant Cook
Help!
Just bought home depot brinkman smoke n pit, I do not believe it is the same as wally world model. Mine has metal front tray. It looks good- but- it is still in the box.
Just spotted the Kingsford cooker at BJ's club, I know I can get a side box for it.
I am sure either need mods to work, but any opions?
David

Well never seen the Kingsford model but cut my eye teeth on the el Cheapo Brinkmann offset. They can cook some world class grub and the available mods are copious and fairly easy to do. Just takes a lot of messing with it moving things around etc. Cooks best with a charcoal base and a little wood for flavor. If you want to try to teach it or others of similar genre to be growed up log burners you are gonna be dissapointed. It will beat you to death.

bigwheel

I started on the Brinkman also...It'll work but as BW said, it takes a lot of work and constant attention. It'll be a good learning tool till you get a WSM..

Please stop laughing, but- what is a wsm? have figured out webber-but- If a few bucks more will make me look better, will look into it!

Well yes the WSM would be the smart move. I came within about an inch of saying that myself but I thought the young gentleman had his heart set on an offset for some reason. I will stop jumping to these irrational conclusions someday perhaps. I's so ashamed..sniff sniff.

bigwheel

I don't know what you paid, but I'd take it back and get a WSM. I love mine and a 18" is under 300 bucks.

Here's the skinny...With the Brinkman, you'll be constantly tending the fire. Working it is fun, but could get old on a 12 hour cook. Also, if I recall, it was a bear in really cold weather. The WSM is a set it and forget it. Once you get the temp right, which usually takes me around 20 min to a half hour, you really dont have to mess with it any more. A loaded charcoal ring started with the Minion (Capt morgan) method shoud give you 12 hours of cooking. Its much heavier than the Brinkman and I believe it is porcelen coated ??? Once you get one you'll never look back. You can also grill on it if youd like..

Ya, Issue with WSM though. Family does not like smoke too much. Most of the time I be grilling and slow cooking. I know smoke issue is my fault. I did a few runs with the Alton Brown flower pot cooker-100bucks-ouch! I over did the smoke though, and kids complained about eating out of a flower pot! I loved it though, did samon, ham, and chuck roast.

What witt said. The issue with the kids complaining about eating food from a flower pot ................. don't feed them for a week or so, they won't care where you cook it then!

This looks like the best place to post this diddy.

OK, I GIVE...IT'S ABOUT TIME. PUT IT OFF FOR LONG ENOUGH.

Went out and purchased a WSM today. Little Christmas gift to myself. Can you see the :D :D :D on my face.
Guy even gave me a deal on a Smokie Joe to go with it. Winter " got to get rid of this stock " special.
Having 12 family over on Saturday night.
They're in for a treat.

Back
Top Bottom