Frozen Few ? ? ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

honcho

Senior Cook
Hello BBQ Friends, Just wondering if we will be doing the Frozen Few event this yr. I remember that the money was due 12-31-07 last yr and that is around the corner

Honcho

wittdog and I have been talking about the 2010 Frozen Few. The economy has sucked and we have lost our major prize sponsor. A law firm in Anchorage will continue to donate the trophy but that's about it as far as prizes goes. We have been kicking around making the entry fee a $20 donation to a food bank. How does that sound to the cold weather smokers out there?

Who's food bank. Put me in the game. So what you don't get a prize :roll: . Its just the right thing to do. :D Maybe we could have a draw with just names and who ever won, the money could go direct to them. Just a thought.

Pigs

Sorry, I don't believe I can qualify this year. You see global warming has converged with a El Nino. (That is hot air blow'in in from the desert) This year "they" (The Man) predicts the average temps for January in So Cal will be in the 80's.

I will crack a cold one for you guys. Does that count?

Whatever is decided is ok with me - just as long as something is decided! I look forward to FF each year - as it's my one and only practice/test cook for the comp season!

As Griff said the FF will continue this year but under a new format. With the economy being what it is I was reluctant to contact the sponsors that have been so good to us in the past…other than that prestigious Alaskan Law firm ( we all know that the government, banks and lawyers always get paid :LOL: ). Seriously the Alaskan Law firm will be once again sponsoring the Frozen Few trophy.
The original reason for the contest was to have a fun winter “virtual contest”…we kind of have gone away from the fun aspect of things with the amount of prizes that were generous donated by our sponsors. Since the economy has been so bad we decided that instead of the $20 entry fee going towards T-shirts and shipping that we were going to use this contest for the forces of good. We are going to donate the entry fees to http://feedingamerica.org/default.aspx?show_shov=1/ (formally Second Harvest) which is the nations food bank. Please take a moment to check out the Feeding America site. I worked at the Food Bank of WNY for a short period after college and am familiar with the great work they do.
While discussing this we also liked the idea that the donation would be sent to them in February after the Holiday. Its nice to give during the holidays but unfortunately people go hungry all year long.
There will be more details to follow but if you are interested in the Frozen Few contact me via PM and I’ll let you know where to send the check for your entry fee.

As a judge, I can say I can certainly do without the t shirt and gift certificates
provided in years past...although they were greatly appreciated...I sport my
FF shirt all over Myrtle Beach, and I have become a regular customer of
Smokinliscious wood chunks.

It's a ton of fun, and a trophy is all I ever compete for anyway, and
to make it for a good cause is even better. We all know that the bbq
community is full of people who go above and beyond to help others
and do the the right thing......in fact, if times are too tough for someone
who wants to enter, I'll pay for one person's entry fee, just pm me and
we'll keep it quiet.

Yea, I feel bad, I burned a hole in my FF shirt from last year. But it was a good cigar, and good Bourbon. Good thing I was in the lawn chair by the camp fire. We do the food bank down at the Rez every year. The smoke shops are greedy! Won't help at all. Money, money, money.

Pigs

I would wear my shirt in Douglas GA. for the BOTB and it got great reviews,,
I keep it with my suit coats,,not like I got a lot of suit coats
come to think of it, I only got 1,,,I think I got 1 LOL
But it hangs where they should be
But I can do without it for this cause. I know it's short notice so ,,,same rules as last right yr

Captain Morgan said:
As a judge, I can say I can certainly do without the t shirt and gift certificates
provided in years past...although they were greatly appreciated...I sport my
FF shirt all over Myrtle Beach, and I have become a regular customer of
Smokinliscious wood chunks.

It's a ton of fun, and a trophy is all I ever compete for anyway, and
to make it for a good cause is even better. We all know that the bbq
community is full of people who go above and beyond to help others
and do the the right thing......in fact, if times are too tough for someone
who wants to enter, I'll pay for one person's entry fee, just pm me and
we'll keep it quiet.

Cappy,, I was on hog patrol in Douglas GA. and worked with a team from your neck of the woods
"The Redneck Cookers" good bunch. If you see them in your travels tell-em you know me..
They have plans of cookin in Grand Rapids with us this yr. And showing up at our event in Aug.
Then again in Douglas GA in 2010

I'd like to try. El Nino has been nice to us this year. Even the rain is too cold to wash away the snow in our yard. Last year sucked. VA Beach and Atlanta had more snow than us, although the Late January ice storm was a pleasant surprise. viewtopic.php?f=8&t=19079 for pictures including the unfortunate smash-up that Amy got on film.

We are still on. Same rules as last year. Contest is Superbowl weekend. Due to economy the only prize will be the overall GC trophey. Other category winners will be honorary only. Also current plans do not include a tee shirt. Enrty fee will be a $20 donation to a food bank. More details to follow.

Captain Morgan said:
provided in years past...although they were greatly appreciated...
quote]

Ditto

Here are frozen few details and rules:
(Hoping our prestigious judges and re-poster from years past will continue to take on the daunting task--Helen, JB, Unity, Cappy?).

Frozen Few Rules

This is a fun virtual winter bbq competition. It is primarily for those of us who cook in the dead of winter, real northern winter. In the event your local conditions do not qualify for winter conditions, say an unexpected warm snap, you will be automatically entered in the "Southern Comfort" category. Softies from Southern climates are encouraged to enter, but they will not be eligible for Grand Champion – Northern guys make the rules.

Registration Date
· Registration must be received by Superbowl Sunday. Registration information must be sent to wittdog (contact him via PM). All entry fees will be donated to Feeding America (formerly Second Harvest). http://feedingamerica.org/default.aspx?show_shov=1/

Cook Dates
· The cook must be started and completed on Super Bowl weekend (5 pm Friday, through 10 pm Sunday). All times are local where you are competing.

· It really is the Frozen Few. Proof of snow on the ground or temperatures below 32° (that’s 0°C for the Canuks) at the time of the cook must be submitted. Just include a photo of snow on the ground or in the background, or a photo of a thermometer will do.

Cook Categories

Category eligibility will be determined by cooking time and the outside temp.
· "Arctic Survivor": Butts, Brisket, Whole Hog -- longer cooking cuts of meat.

· "Northern Vacation": Ribs or anything else with a midrange cooking time.

· "Southern Comfort": Chicken and other quick cooking stuff, and anything cooked at temps above 32°.

Entries that cannot establish proof of snow on the ground or temperatures below 32° will be ineligible for "Arctic Survivor" and "Northern Vacation" and will be automatically entered in the "Southern Comfort" category. We are on the honor system on this (and the food photos as well). Any one discovered cheating shall be disqualified and publicly ostracized at every opportunity. Their karma will be totally screwed in future bbq competitions, and they will be forever cursed.

Photo Submissions
· Each entrant may enter one food photo designated as the entered photo. For entries in "Arctic Survivor" or "Northern Vacation," the food photo must be accompanied by a snow or temperature photo. Other pictures of the cook may be submitted but will not be judged.

· Photos must be emailed to Unity, the Official Re-Poster (jgdouglas-AT-comcast-DOT-net) by midnight 2 days following the cook.

· Image resolution should be at least 640x480, but larger is better for judging purposes.

· The Re-Poster will send photos to judges, withholding names of entrants, and will post them, also withholding names of entrants, as soon as the competition closes.

· Entrants should not post pictures of their entries on the board, because the judges read the board and they aren't supposed to know whose is whose.

Awards
· A Grand Champion will be selected from either the "Arctic Survivor" or "Northern Vacation" category. The Grand Champion trophy will be donated by a certain Alaskan law firm. (We still want to award an ice sculpture but haven't fixed that pesky shipping issue yet.)

Judging
· Judges will be Captain Morgan, 007bond-jb, and Helen Paradise.

· The judges will determine winners based solely on the photos submitted. The judges will factor in weather conditions, difficulty of the cook, presentation, and any other factors that they in their sole discretion deem appropriate. The judges' decision will be final, even if arbitrary or capricious.

Miscellaneous
· Any outdoor cooker may be used.

· KCBS and any other organized rules do NOT apply. This competition is for winter fun and the contestants should not feel restrained by rules.

· The committee reserves the right to tweak the rules at any time up to one week prior to the competition. Entrants will be notified by PM of any rule changes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom