Run A Chest Freezer in Canadian Winter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeeRich

Sous Chef
Hiya folks.

Just wondering if it's ok to put a chest freezer in my garage and run it over the winter. No snow, but -20'C from time to time in the winter.

I know there's some Canucks out there. Just want to see if the cold will have any problems on the mechanics.

Cheers

I have a refrigerator in my garage and I always shut it off for the winter. It's cold enough in the garage without having the additional electricity on the bill. I would think you would be OK.

Same here as Bruce. Most people I know just unplug for the winter if the freezer is in an unheated environment. The trick is to remember to plug it back in when spring comes.

Griff said:
Same here as Bruce. Most people I know just unplug for the winter if the freezer is in an unheated environment. The trick is to remember to plug it back in when spring comes.

Speaking from experience Griff?

Asked my Toronto electrician the same question and he advised no problem. I have an unheated garage. I would just put it on the house side wall. On the other hand, unplugging the sucker sounds good on the pocket book. Just be sure to monitor the outside temperature.

Back
Top Bottom