Gonna try a brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mom wants me to make a brisket this weekend. I am a little nervous, never done one.
Any one got any tips or recipes? Ive always heard that brisket is one of the harder things to smoke.
Or am I just worrying to much? Any help would be aprreciated

Well you want just an everyday type brisket or a Grand Prize Winner? If you want the latter..whup up half a batch of this and have it resting in the icebox when you repoat back that you is ready for the next step.

http://bbq.about.com/od/moprecipes/r/bl00513a.htm

Now any yankee on here can tell ya how to cook a crappy old everyday brisket :shock:

bigwheel

PS edit. Now I would skip the oil if I was you.

bigwheel said:
Well you want just an everyday type brisket or a Grand Prize Winner? If you want the latter..whup up half a batch of this and have it resting in the icebox when you repoat back that you is ready for the next step.

http://bbq.about.com/od/moprecipes/r/bl00513a.htm

Now any yankee on here can tell ya how to cook a crappy old everyday brisket :shock:

bigwheel

PS edit. Now I would skip the oil if I was you.

Hey.... :shock: I resemble that remark..... :LOL:

Depends on the pit. Offset mop each hour..but you dont actually mop it..you ladle it on there with a SS Tablespoon without ever touching the meat. This is all considering cooking fat down which is the only way brisket should be cooked. Which means you are spooning the stuff on the flat. If you cooking on some kinda R2D2 gizmo just mop when and if you have to lift the lid for some other reason. Also keep the mop hot..roughly same temp as the meat. Small SS saucepan inside the pit works purty good on an offset or big upright but not practical for a water smoker.

bigwheel

0341SteelRain said:
preciate that mop recipe, sounds good, how often do you mop it?

I'm no expert, but I did practice brisket a lot last winter getting ready for a new bbq comp season and I think you'll find that it's not too scary once you get into it. It's a big peice of meat and doesn't need to be tended a whole lot. Using a mop with the flavors you like similar to the one that bigwheel suggests is a good way to get some additional flavor while adding some moisture. If you don't have time to come up with a mop, then apple juice works just fine. Spray or mop anytime you have the smoker open is a good rule of thumb.

For sixteen people you'd want to do about 13-14lbs raw. Can be done with either a full packer or two flats. Flats will cook up faster, so if you don't have a lot of time to invest then they might be the way to go. If you've got a bit more time the packer is fun too and gives you the opportunity to do burnt ends! :D

All briskets have a mind of their own and they are not done until you can stick a probe in them like a knife going thru butter. This can happen between 185 and 210 degrees internal temp usually.

Sorry to be so long winded, but when I get started I just can't stop sometimes. :oops:

Have fun and remember that even if you think you messed up, someone will tell you how wonderful it is :D

I like to figger a pound per person with either packer briskets or bone in butts. This should give some leftovers which dont hurt a thang. If you have kids there grill or smoke up a few dawgs. Kids like dawgs mo betta than brisket. You can also throw a pack or two of Johnsonvilles on there if you gonna have any yankees in attendance. They just love them thangs for some reason. Serve the brisket on a bun and for sides try sweet beans and tater chips.

bigwheel

0341SteelRain said:
well ill be cooking for about 16 people, so how much you think im gonna need? itll be done on the UDS

Shores said:
I'm no expert, but I did practice brisket a lot last winter getting ready for a new bbq comp season and I think you'll find that it's not too scary once you get into it. It's a big peice of meat and doesn't need to be tended a whole lot. Using a mop with the flavors you like similar to the one that bigwheel suggests is a good way to get some additional flavor while adding some moisture. If you don't have time to come up with a mop, then apple juice works just fine. Spray or mop anytime you have the smoker open is a good rule of thumb.

For sixteen people you'd want to do about 13-14lbs raw. Can be done with either a full packer or two flats. Flats will cook up faster, so if you don't have a lot of time to invest then they might be the way to go. If you've got a bit more time the packer is fun too and gives you the opportunity to do burnt ends! :D

All briskets have a mind of their own and they are not done until you can stick a probe in them like a knife going thru butter. This can happen between 185 and 210 degrees internal temp usually.

Sorry to be so long winded, but when I get started I just can't stop sometimes. :oops:

Have fun and remember that even if you think you messed up, someone will tell you how wonderful it is :D

no need to worry about being long winded, thats some good info thanks

Back
Top Bottom