My first try

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill The Grill Guy

Master Chef
at Buckboard Bacon.

I got this pork loin on sale and decided to give it a try. I used tender quick, brown sugar, and 3 eyz rub and did the dry cure methode. Its been in the cure for 4 days now. I rinsed it and re rubed it with 3 eyz. This is going on the Treager at 200*. I'll keep you posted.

Here is pic one:

I just made some of that using Oompappy's recipe the other day.
Good luck Bill!

Bill The Grill Guy said:
at Buckboard Bacon.

I got this pork loin on sale and decided to give it a try. I used tender quick, brown sugar, and 3 eyz rub and did the dry cure methode. Its been in the cure for 4 days now. I rinsed it and re rubed it with 3 eyz. This is going on the Treager at 200*. I'll keep you posted.

Here is pic one:

[/quote
My understanding is that buckboard bacon is typically made from boneless butt and canadian bacon is made from cuts of loin. The buckboard bacon is cured for 10 days, while the loin cuts for canadian bacon are cured for 5-6 days. Maybe just playing a word game. Whatever, keep those pics coming.

Dave you are correct. Seems the "back bacon" or "pea meal bacon" made with pork loin is what Bill is after. Pretty easy to confuse the two different bacons "word wise" which I am also guilty of.
I'm trying the buckboard bacon or "Hillbilly bacon" as I type. Been curing for going on 5 days now. Made the "pea meal" bacon last week. (Pretty easy to get them mixed up huh..word wise?)
Thanks for the uplifting info. 8)

An aside. I was once in town north of Pemina ND ordering breakfast. I asked if the bacon was "Canadian Bacon". With a smile the waitress told me that all bacon in Canada was Canadian. :LOL: The guy at the table next to me chimed in: "I think he means Back Bacon". It worked out fine. 8)

Okay, sorry about the delay. I ended up running fire calls all day and didnt get a chance to take any pics while it was cooking. I worked a 24 hour shift yesterday and off for a 36 straight tonight into monday. BUT, I did get the bacon all sliced up and packaged. It's a tad salty but good. It's going to be great in beans.

When I make bacon, I've found that I really need to soak it about 24 hours with frequent water changes to prevent it from coming out too salty.

Back
Top Bottom