Mustard Greens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Was at the store today and they had a huge display of mustard greens. They smelled great, felt great, but I have no clue on how to prepare them. Any help would be great.
Thanks

Pigs

The way the Lord intended for us to eat mustard greens is thusly:
Wash em..wash em again and then wash em again. Spin them dry in your handy dandy salad spinner from Wally World then chop or tear em up in pieces by hand and place in a big bowl along with some good chopped tomaters..onyawns and fresh garlic. Drizzle with XXX Virgin Greek Olive Oyl and Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Yum yum. Them thangs are so healthy they will just sit there and shake in the bowl. Don't let anybody talk you into cooking. That kills all the living enzymes and deactivates the vitamins etc. Will make you chunk rocks at any form of lettuce.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
The way the Lord intended for us to eat mustard greens is thusly:
Wash em..wash em again and then wash em again. Spin them dry in your handy dandy salad spinner from Wally World then chop or tear em up in pieces by hand and place in a big bowl along with some good chopped tomaters..onyawns and fresh garlic. Drizzle with XXX Virgin Greek Olive Oyl and Bragg's raw unfiltered apple cider vinegar. Yum yum. Them thangs are so healthy they will just sit there and shake in the bowl. Don't let anybody talk you into cooking. That kills all the living enzymes and deactivates the vitamins etc. Will make you chunk rocks at any form of lettuce.

bigwheel
Caned home maters okay? Ya all know I'm up north and if we don't save them, they suck out the can.
Thanks Jeff.

Pigs

Greens are a New Years tradition in the South, but I cook them more often than that. The Wife and kids love them.
Buy a huge bag (they will cook way down) and remove any large stems. Soak them over and over moving them from one large bowl to another. You can be simmering (with enough water to cover) a couple Smoked Ham Hocks (or Country Ham Chunks) with some crushed red pepper in a small pot at this time. You can tear/cut the greens into lengthwise strips about an inch thick at this time.
Simmer the pork for about 30 minutes and put it and the broth from the small pot into a very large pot. Take the heat up to a boil and add the greens - force them into the pot and cover. You can drop the heat to simmer after they cook down a bit. Simmer for about 45 - 60 min. (they will look like cooked spinach)
Serve with a vinegar pepper sauce like Texas Pete and Corn Bread.

You're going to cook them soft enough to twirl on a fork like spaghetti. You don't really have to tear or cut the greens unless they are really large like collards.

Well like the man say..they are good cooked too if thats the only way you can get em:) My favorite of the entire genre of whut would qualify as Greens. Collards taste like they got a squished up stink bug mixed up with em. I aint sure whut cuz that dielemma.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom