350ºF Butt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Shawn White

Sous Chef
I finally tried a HH pork butt and the results were great! As good PP as any I've made. The butt was ~8lbs, nicely trimmed, still a nice fat cap on it.

Put it on at 10:15am, wet rub brushed on. Dry rub + a little cider vinegar and worcestershire, 2/3 ring unlit lump, 1/3 chimney lit + 4 chunks apple wood:

By 12:15pm the WSM was up to 350ºF (dry pan, clay saucer) and pretty much stayed there for the rest of the cook.

At 1:30pm (3.25 hours) it reached 165ºF internal:

I basted on another coat of wet rub and continued cooking:

Just shy of 5 hours it reached 190ºF internal. It still felt a little too firm but I double foiled and in the cooler thinking there would be lots of residual heat to finish tenderizing.

2 hours rest later it was still too firm IMO. So into a 325ºF oven for another hour, then another hour in the cooler. It was then FOTB, amazingly tender and juicy (picture is kind of a wash, wrong color setting :(, it had more color than that):

It had great bark, lots of flavor, I really don't see a downside to HH butt from this cook. Not to mention a strong BACON aroma :).

If there was a downside it's my perpetual annoyance with too much grease/dripping smoke with an empty water pan using higher heat.

5 hours was pretty amazing. Next time I'll let it get more tender before removing it, so if it's like this one probably 6 or 7 hours. The residual heat didn't do as much work as I thought it might.

I quite like this brush on wet rub business. Would be even better overnight I think, it sticks to vertical surfaces and is less messy than sprinkling and/or mustard slather.

2 thumbs way up from me for HH butt. This one really had me cursing the time spent on overnighters trying to hold it steady at 225ºF, what a waste of good night's sleep. :)

I LIKE I LIKE!! Nice work Shawn!!! Gonna have to give that a shot for my next butt cook!

I need to try that this weekend, we have some friends commin over for dinner

I've been cooking these the last few times at 350-375. Getting done in about 6hrs. Nobody has complained yet. I can't tell that much difference. Roger

Looks good Shawn. Knew them butts could take some heat but didnt think of the 350 range. Nice to know and thanks for sharing.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom