Pork Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
I just helped a guy out over the weekend who had a 1/4 pig, so he says. It looked to me like 2 butts stuck together lengthwise . It weighed in at 23# and he got 17# finished. The meat looked especially white to me. Anyone know what it was?

sounds like a whole shoulder, which consists of the boston
butt and the picnic ham. That is the cut of choice for
Lexington style bbq.

Well I neva heard anybody claim a full shoulder look like two butts stuck together lengthwise. I smell a rat in Denmark. I think the boy got a nice sized butt. Heck I got a fresh picnic at Albertsons one time which weighed in at 15 so guessing the other chunk could surely go 23. Suspect that be one of the big old giant grand prize winning Tejas Show Ham Hawgs. Prob some kids 4 H project etc. The waste ratio is about right for a single deboned butt if a person peel the fat cap as per the rule book.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well I neva heard anybody claim a full shoulder look like two butts stuck together lengthwise. I smell a rat in Denmark. I think the boy got a nice sized butt. Heck I got a fresh picnic at Albertsons one time which weighed in at 15 so guessing the other chunk could surely go 23. Suspect that be one of the big old giant grand prize winning Tejas Show Ham Hawgs. Prob some kids 4 H project etc. The waste ratio is about right for a single deboned butt if a person peel the fat cap as per the rule book.

bigwheel

I just dont think it was that.....It was a De-Boned Piece of meat though Ill try to ask if the guy had pics..... Im really curious. thanks. ;)

Back
Top Bottom