Pickled Polish Sausage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pigs On The Wing BBQ

Master Chef
Any one have a recipe for pickled polish sausage? Since I'm on a canning bender and have a lot of quart jars, plus many links of sausage in the deep freezer, I thought I'd give it a shot. I do have a pressure canner so that's not a problem.
Thanks,

Pigs

I've made several batches of the stuff. Best ones were a combo of white and Braggs Raw Unflitered Apple Cider Vinegar. Little salt little sugar. Put half a can of beet juice in there along with a little hot sauce to make em red...few dried onyawns and some granulated garlic couple of dried red peppas...handful of black peppercorns and whutever else strikes your fantasy. I always just get the vinegar mixture boiling and fill up the clean jars along with the sausage and give it a 10 min water bath. Dont much think the pressure canner would be necessary providing the sausage is cooked going in there aint you dont use any raw veggies dont think no bug in his right mind could live in the stuff. Puff supposedly got a good recipe. I may have the eggxact latest recipe I used at home. I will look later in the day. I used both Hotlinks and Ring Baloney with both working well.

bigwheel

Thanks BW. The sausage is raw, fresh that is. Wonder if I cooked it in the brine and then canned it up may (or) may not be a good idea. I looked on Google but didn't find anything that tripped my trigger.

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Thanks BW. The sausage is raw, fresh that is. Wonder if I cooked it in the brine and then canned it up may (or) may not be a good idea. I looked on Google but didn't find anything that tripped my trigger.

Pigs
Do it with smoked sausage.

Yeppers thats how I always done it. It was fully cooked and smoked before I started. One step I wanted to mention is this. If you will cover the sausage links or slices chunks etc. with the cheapest white vinegar you can find and let it sit overnight in the ice box then drain and rinse well...what will happen is most of the gunky junk will come out of the sausage and can then be drained off and the final brine put on it. If you skip the initial vinegar soak some of the acidic sensitive fats and such thangs will leach out into the juice in the cans and it will look real unappetizing. Wont hurt ya to eat it just dont look real purty to have that stuff floating around in the jar.

bigwheel

Well I always shoot to keep the pit temp at 180 or so till the sausage gets to 153-155..but somebody got to naggin a while back saying the health goons claim it needs to get to 160. Which makes to sense to me. Not sure eggxactly whut dies at 160 that dont die at 153 which is supposedly 13 degrees higher than it takes to kill trichina worms. Dont hurt botulism spores till a person breaks out the pressure canner I dont think.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom