Overnight devastation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gunnagitcha

Assistant Cook
I have seen these guys wipe out entire tomatoe sets almost overnight. I caught them ealry this year and treated my plants last night. Has anybody else had to deal with Hornworms this season? You might check your plants.

My dad use to get em and pour the Cox rc car fuel on them and then draw a line with the fuel away from them, then VWALLLAA. Up in smoke. I use to love that as a kid. I never tried to eat one though.

you got potato bugs too? those are nasty lookin!

Bugs

dollarbill said:
My dad use to get em and pour the Cox rc car fuel on them and then draw a line with the fuel away from them, then VWALLLAA. Up in smoke. I use to love that as a kid. I never tried to eat one though.

you got potato bugs too? those are nasty lookin!

No have'nt had any potato bugs. What's screwed up about these hornworms is I have had them about 10 out of the last 15 years at this same location where I live but my Dad lives about 3 miles away and has never had a one. There has to be larva in the ground or maybe in the bark of certain trees around me. I have alot of sycamore trees. I think next year I'm going to treat the ground before I plant. I hate to do that but if I would have been gone all weekend come Monday all of my plants would have been gone. Little bastards

Do Malathion bother em any? Seems to work well on fruit trees. Aint raised no maters in years but Sevin will kill most anything that I ever bumped into which might afflict em. You going organic we will need to break out the orange oil and hot peppa garlic tea. I listen to the Dirt Doctor all the time.

bigwheel

Sevin

bigwheel said:
Do Malathion bother em any? Seems to work well on fruit trees. Aint raised no maters in years but Sevin will kill most anything that I ever bumped into which might afflict em. You going organic we will need to break out the orange oil and hot peppa garlic tea. I listen to the Dirt Doctor all the time.

bigwheel
Yup Sevin will do the job. Always has always will right. Right. I had a little Durasban left over from a couple years ago. I think thats the stuff that replaced Sevin. Around hear any ways. The Durasban took care of them but it will be a couple of weeks until that foilage grows back. They got me a little but not enough to change the harvest. My wife was on a mission. She was pluckin and stompin! She loves garden tomatoes. She didn't even check the pepper plants to see if they were ok. HUH!

I love to throw those up in the air and watch the seagulls catch them and rip em to pieces.. They pretty butterflies though!!! :shock:

Yeppers aint nuttin mo betta in the world than home growed maters. I think somebody even wrote a song about it one time.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom