Two 12lb packers in the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryWolfe

Chef Extraordinaire
I put two 12lb packers on the WSM last night around 8pm. I separated the point from the flat prior to cooking on these two. It's 6:30am now meats at 170 & 167. Didn't take beginning pic's but will post some pic in a bit.

Okay here's one, the other brisket is on the bottom. I'll take that one in a bit. Notice I gotta little ash on them, I spritzed AJ to get rid of it.

Captain Morgan said:
dadgum, that pic looks so good I believe I'd eat the ash!

The ash doesn't really bother me, but this has got to turn out good. I gotta have it to a co-worker at noon today!!!

Finished pic's of one of the briskets. This is the one for the co-worker. I'm gonna reheat and slice the other for dinner later. I chopped the point and sliced the flat.

Dang boy! I've seen so much Q this weekend I think I'll puke, but first, gimme a piece of that good lookin brisket! When you get yer new pit, you can do burnt ends with those points on your hot spot! I did some with four briskets yesterday. They are always the first thing to go! I am actually considering cooking a bunch of small flats to death and cubing them up to "burnt enderize" them!

Captain Morgan said:
I'd crawl a mile for a bite of that.

Fantastic! It looks so freaking moist! Would you call that your best ever?

pffft!

Thanks Cappy and WoodQ'er. I only tasted a small piece of this one since it was for my co-worker. I'll give more details of the one I'm gonna re-heat and eat for dinner. This one was not my best, but purdy good. I still say the very first brisket I ever did was my best ever, but have never been able to duplicate it. Beginners luck I suppose on the first one!

Here's a couple pic's of the second brisket, that I'm eating right now. This one is close if not the best brisket I've done. I pulled it from the smoker and let it rest until cooled. Put in the fridge for most of the day, then reheated at 350 for 1 hour and sliced.

Cruising said:
Man are those awesome.

You convinced me to go for brisket this coming weekend (it was that or beef
ribs). I just got back from a Packing company near by and ordered an
untrimmed whole brisket between 10 and 13 lbs. I am picking it up Thursday.

I'm gonna use either Fatz's or Texas BBQ rub on it. Probably put it on
Thursday around 8 or 9pm.

Man - Am I looking forward to this. By the way, what temp did you try and maintain for these?

I try 225 to 250 and try and stay closer to 225. Someone else mentioned
they try to stay between 210 and 225, never over 235. I'd love mine to
turn out as good and moist as yours.

I just try to keep mine under 250* at the dome, which means I'm cooking around 235* at the top grate or less depending on the temp. IMO if you try to stick to exact temperatures you are gonna drive your self crazy. I know, cause I did! Pick a max and a min temp, keep it there and your cooks will be very consistent.

Larry Wolfe said:
Cruising said:
Man are those awesome.

You convinced me to go for brisket this coming weekend (it was that or beef
ribs). I just got back from a Packing company near by and ordered an
untrimmed whole brisket between 10 and 13 lbs. I am picking it up Thursday.

I'm gonna use either Fatz's or Texas BBQ rub on it. Probably put it on
Thursday around 8 or 9pm.

Man - Am I looking forward to this. By the way, what temp did you try and maintain for these?

I try 225 to 250 and try and stay closer to 225. Someone else mentioned
they try to stay between 210 and 225, never over 235. I'd love mine to
turn out as good and moist as yours.

I just try to keep mine under 250* at the dome, which means I'm cooking around 235* at the top grate or less depending on the temp. IMO if you try to stick to exact temperatures you are gonna drive your self crazy. I know, cause I did! Pick a max and a min temp, keep it there and your cooks will be very consistent.

Amen to that! [-o<

Back
Top Bottom