Memorial day briskie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi I'm new to the site but have been lurking for a while and this is my first post. This is a high heat brisket I did in my OTG. Seasoned with kosher salt, fresh black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder and a little Tony's. Smoked with mesquite chunks and foiled at 160 and pulled at 200. Was done in a little over 4 hrs! Love the high heat method. Didn't get any finished pics since everyone was starving and i was busy carving and serving. Here's some pron from the next day from my lunch at work. Still was awesome!

img_189607_0_70c954434a2ae7117bc4a97389c66d3f.jpg

img_189607_1_f85cb2914a8e024301aacd0ed2e1a54a.jpg

img_189607_2_164e9d7e1fe6b8682a45c2223df1d9b5.jpg

img_189607_3_79a8813e751f0d048d7500a119fd884f.jpg

img_189607_4_acdd4c1a88689e1620d6b661074e1a07.jpg

img_189607_5_cb3befe68aea3048f036893a41a6b26e.jpg

Captain Morgan said:
welcome Al! have you also cooked low and slow brisket, and
which do you prefer?

Yes I've done them at lower temps but honestly I've had such better results doing the high heat method I'm doing them that way from now on. They still come out super tender and juicy in less time. But you can definately do low and slow on the kettle using the firebrick method like I do. In over 4 hrs I did not need to add more coals at all and had plenty leftover to roast 7 ears of corn and grill 8 links of sausage. Love it!

smokey al gold said:
[quote="Captain Morgan":yvf0c0q6]welcome Al! have you also cooked low and slow brisket, and
which do you prefer?

Yes I've done them at lower temps but honestly I've had such better results doing the high heat method I'm doing them that way from now on. They still come out super tender and juicy in less time. But you can definately do low and slow on the kettle using the firebrick method like I do. In over 4 hrs I did not need to add more coals at all and had plenty leftover to roast 7 ears of corn and grill 8 links of sausage. Love it![/quote:yvf0c0q6]

thank you Al.

I just left a lengthy post on a non-cooking forum I visit regarding the Bobby Flay throwdown with Ed Mitchell on ribs. Ed is a NC pitmaster who really specializes in whole hog, but he cooked his ribs hot and fast, and a lot of people were asking how they could be as tender as they looked.

Captain Morgan said:
I just left a lengthy post on a non-cooking forum I visit regarding the Bobby Flay throwdown with Ed Mitchell on ribs. Ed is a NC pitmaster who really specializes in whole hog, but he cooked his ribs hot and fast, and a lot of people were asking how they could be as tender as they looked.

Well after I did the rack of spares hot and fast, I have to vouch for Ed that yes indeed they can come out just as tender and moist cooked hot and fast versus low and slow. Those ribs were some of the simplist and best ribs I've done.

Unity said:
Welcome, Al. I wouldn't have considered doing a brisket in a kettle. Tell us more about your fire brick method.

--John

It's something I learned on another forum I frequent and works really well. Since all I can't afford a WSM right now and I never really need to do more than one brisket or porkbutt you can effectively smoke on a kettle. The way it works is you need two firebricks (must be firebricks to take high heats) and lay them on their side to seperate a little over 1/3 of your kettle like I have in the picture above. Once you have that space separated you want to wrap the other 2/3's of the charcoal grate in foil (the part the meat will be on top of) To the section that holds the coals I put a full chimney of unlit briquettes with wood chunks mixed in. If it goes a little higher than your cooking grate just leave the hinge open. Now the bottom vent needs to be barely cracked and the top I close to halfway. On top of the unlit I add about 12 lit coals and cover the lid. This is a minion method start. Once the kettle comes up to temp add your meat to the other side and close the lid. You may need to adjust the bottom vent every so often by opening a little more or closing a little more to keep your desired temp. Lots of guys do this and I've gotten a 6hr burn on just that initial load of charcoal and others have gotten longer. Give it a try it really works well. Keep in mind I smoke at high temps 300-350 so if you want to cook at lower temp I'd add 6-8 lit coals to start with.

Al, I feel your pain and respect your ability. I started on a used ECB
and worked my way up. I fully believe starting with inferior tools increases the learning experience, although you sometimes have to eat
some crappy food, lol. It helps you become a better cook, and excellent food is produced by the cook, not the cooker.

That said, for anyone who can't afford a wsm, get a weber kettle. You can make fantastic food on that thing, it lasts a long time (if you don't drop the lid :oops:) and it's easy to maintain with the availability of parts.

Keep cooking my friend!

Very nice Al as well as interesting. Looks like a 22.5 OTG? Why do you foil the bare lower grate under the brisket?

Thanks

the reason I foil the other side of the charcoal grate where the food sits on top of is so the air flow coming in from the bottom vents will flow to the charcoal side through the coals the over the brisket. Also it catches the drippings for an added bonus :D

Back
Top Bottom