first attempt was a disaster, any suggestions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swampsauce

Sous Chef
I think there are several things you can do. I will post the most obvious to me for now.

1] Dome temp and grate are probably 50* different, grate was probably 200*
2] Im guessing the ribs were enhanced, thats BAD
3] Most any rub on ribs overnight is toooooo long, 4 hours max

First of all, welcome to the club. We've all been there and done that! Hammy ribs are the worst and in this case were probably caused by rubbing the ribs and letting them sit over night. You basically cured them with a rub that was probably high in salt content.

Secondly, I don't cook ribs to a certain temp. Go by feel and looks. Look for a quarter inch pull back or so on the ribs. At 250 it shouldn't have taken much more than 5 hours. A test I always use is the tong test. Pick the ribs up with the tongs. If they start to break in half they are done. If not let them cook some more.

Try a rub next time with a little less salt or just put the rub on a few minutes before the ribs go on the cooker. Let the rub soak in. It should liquifiy. I think you'll see much better results next time.

Welcome to the forum and ask lots of questions and post plenty of pictures!

Dallas

I never trust them thermo's usually wrong! Get yerself a digital one fer grate temp, put the probe through a tater an set it on the grate, now yall know what yer temps really are. They can be tested by puttin them in boilin water an dependin on yer altitude should be in the nieghborhood a 212°.

I never use a store bought rub, make up my own, many a the store bought ones er sugar an salt.

Do some searchin an find a recipe that sounds like it got stuff in it ya like then play with it some. I rub my ribs an wrap in foil the night before, never have a problem, BUT, my rubs don't have alota salt in em.

The method ya usin is fine some folk call it the 3-2-1 method, but it is just a guide line, I usually do the 3 then bout 1 1/2 an 1/2. Ta check them ribs ya look fer the meat ta be pullin back from the bone then pick em up with some tongs, they should flex real nice.

Also, I don't put sauce on mine, but I would save that fer the last 20 minutes er so ifin ya feel ya need it.

Lets see, yall said baby backs didn't ya, I'd do more like a 2-2-1 on them. 3-2-1 be fer spares.

Don't give up, keep at it, yall will figure out a system that works fer ya, ain't no suck thin as a bad rib, just good ribs, great ribs an holy cow them er great ribs!

grate temp is always hotter then top of the done ...last guy is right get a digital thermometer, alot of people drill a hold through some wood and use that...me I just ball of some tin foil and toss the poker through that.

If your dome temp was 250 you were probably running 300+ at grate level... if I smoke with my weber kettle I will usally take the coal grate out and just dump em in to give a little space between the coals and the cooking grate.

Reason for the ribs turning out like that: To long and to High of a temp.

Normal for me and u can always change it around like the other guy said about taste and texture while ur cooking I will go about 3 hours (spritzin every hour) around 240-260 cooking grate level an hour foiled with juice ( I like to use a foil pan like 3 for a buck at the dollar store) then I put them back on the grill slathered in sauce for about a half hour to 40 minutes more.
Heres a couple photos of my last rib run.

corn3.jpg

corn5.jpg

Just reread your post. You said Weber kettle, I read Weber and ass umed WSM. My temps were probably wrong. My guess is your therm is wrong. If you cooked them ribs for 6 hours and they were tough, I would say they were waaayyyyyyy overcooked. Were they shoe leather tough?

think he went by the 3-2-1 process which imo and exp is much to long

Like I said cook by looks and feel. The tong test won't do you wrong with ribs. I don't like it much for contests because it usually results in a broken rack but its the most reliable indicator I've found of when the ribs are done.

I'm also starting to get away from foil. The brown sugar can be applied along with the rub and it works great in getting a good bark.

And finally the quickest way to improve your ribs is to get a WSM through the Amazon link on this forum. Almost impossible not to get good consistent temps betwween 225 and 250 all day and night long.

enhanced

That is the problem.. I did it before also.. Get some fresh ribs if you can find them...

I still remember the first rack of ribs I made and how excited I was to try them. I thought I did everything right. I bought a WSM, I joined the WSM forum and found a recipe called The Best Ribs In The Universe. I was new and naive and tried it. That rub excessive its SALT content. My ribs were not enhanced but allowing the rub to mairnate overnight cured the meat.

Then to top it off the sauce they recommended was KC Masterpiece with honey.

The ribs were awful and I never ever went back to that recipe again. It's been trial and error since then but no overnight rubs for me and I've never had the hammy ribs again. Also never had to take the 3-2-1 method to the limit. More like 2-1-1 for me but everyone's cooker is different so experiment and see what works best for you.

And I agree with the others on the enhanced ribs. Stay away from them. Couldn't tell from your post whether you used them or not but did see where you marinated the ribs overnight.

Follow a couple of the suggestions in this post and your ribs will be much better and invest in a WSM if you can. You won't be sorry.

Kloset BBQR said:
I still remember the first rack of ribs I made and how excited I was to try them. I thought I did everything right. I bought a WSM, I joined the WSM forum and found a recipe called The Best Ribs In The Universe. I was new and naive and tried it. That rub excessive its SALT content. My ribs were not enhanced but allowing the rub to mairnate overnight cured the meat.

Then to top it off the sauce they recommended was KC Masterpiece with honey.

The ribs were awful and I never ever went back to that recipe again. .

that sounds mighty familiar

You might try a rack of spares next. I think they're easier to cook and better eating as well. I've never come across enhanced spares, either, but always check.

hammyribs.jpg

--John

Like others have said, Yur Thermometer has to be off.....
Now, I rub two hrs prior to cooking, attempt to hold temp at 235* and never foil til they be ready to take off. When you pick up the rack with tongs and they bend over wanting to break, they be ready to eat. No sauce, dry rub only fer me.
dj

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom