MIM questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
I've never competed in a MIM competition but I was at Memphis In May last May as a spectator. At the MIM contest teams could only compete in one of three categories, ribs, shoulder or whole hog.

Gary from VA did one last year and did very well. Its a long and tedious event. You have to put on a dog and pony show and wine and dine the judges. There is twice the amount of meat to have ready at different times. Go and visit one before doing one. There is one in Fredericksburg VA in October. If you want to come up and stay the night and visit it, let me know.

Most of these guys spend an incredible amount of money on their display booths. Many are corporate sponsored. I heard that some contestants spent as much as $40,000 on their booths for the MIM comp. last month.

I don't know if they have a Patio Poker division in all MIM sanctioned events but they do at the big event. The Patio Porkers are usually new to the circuit and don't have to wine and dine the judges nor are they judged on their booths. I would compete in this division the first year and see if MIM events are to your liking.

Back
Top Bottom