Smoked salmon on the grill

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
My cousin has a grill but no smoker and he is a steelhead trout fisherman, so last night I did an experiment to show him how to smoke the trout on his grill. I cooked up a couple of salmon filets, indirect on the gas grill by running the two outside burners to maintain about 225F and putting foil pouches of soaked alder wood over the outside burners (see pic). I used the Minion method from http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/salmon1.html and cooked to 140 (135 would have been better). Turned out real good.

img_188366_0_bc49b54e48aca8d29fdc50e6ead0c8e5.jpg

Jim used to hang around here, and he's a salmon expert.
I love smoked salmon, but I've never made it. Was your result
similar to what I can buy at Costco?

Captain Morgan said:
Jim used to hang around here, and he's a salmon expert.
I love smoked salmon, but I've never made it. Was your result
similar to what I can buy at Costco?
Never been to Cosco, but if you're asking if this finished product is as good as their finished product, I can only say I sure as heck hope so. :) I use the same recipe on the smoker, but this was an experiment for the grill.

Qjuju said:
looks good! Any of you brine the salmon first?

I do in the winter for a cold smoke. Otherwise just smoke it like he did above... Nice job BTW :D

If you love grilled salmon or smoked fish, you'll enjoy making this recipe on your covered charcoal grill. I just got a stove top smoker and am loving it. I am not a fan of salmon, unless it's smoked. You can make grill smoked salmon that's just as good as smoker cooked salmon.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom