Injecting Pork Butts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nakedpigbbq

Senior Cook
I was listening to the round tables in preparation for this weekend's comp and they mentioned injecting pork butts. Do most people do this for comps? If so, any ideas on what type of recipe/mix I would use to inject with?

thanks!

chuck

For comps, I think the winners are using Fab or Butchers.

I don't inject pork at home. Seems to be plenty of fat in there to me. Brisket on the other hand is a different story.

I inject with this recipe from the Mod at another site. I also sprinkle some on, along with some rub, when pulling.

Smokin Okie's Pulled Pork Baste & Serving Sauce (Modified}

2 cups apple juice
1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup cider vinegar
1 tablespoon dry mustard
2 tablespoon brown sugar
2 bay leaf
4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1 teaspoon cayenne
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves

Heat all of the ingredients in a non reactive pan (the acid in the vinegar will react with some pans be careful) Bring it to a boil, reduce and simmer for 15 min. I make extra and put it in the fridge and it should last for a couple of months. When I put pork in food saver bags, I put some sauce in with it -- when I reheat the pork it tastes just like the first time.

I have injected in comps and at home and to be perfectly honest, prefer uninjected butts in both cases. I think the effort involved in making and injecting far outweighs the benefits. Just my opinion though.

I'm with Pigs on this one. FAB P with a small can of pineapple juice (6oz) and rounded out with the suggested amount of water to make up the liquid ration. We dont hardly ever eat em at home. My bunch highly prefers sliceable picnics or loins to the pushed pork stuff. The Lord intended Boston Butts to be used for grinding up and making sausage. A role it performs admirally might I add.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom