Opinion on Cookshacks FEC 100

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Ok, Im strugglin a little bit here. I recently had a chance to check out a cookshack FEC100. I didnt get to cook on it but saw someone else. I know ALOT of people like em' (and its a set it and forget it unit) Anyone care to tell me your opinion. Ive been savin for a Klose but bein' unemployed its probably not in the cards this year. thanks in advance for the help. :?

They are great cookers. I've got one. You can set it and forget it or experiment a little with it along the way. Puts out very good BBQ. With this ash borer beetle farce I'll probably be cooking on mine lots more this year at least out of state that is.

I had one for 3 years. Won alot of trophies with pigs and chickens on them http://www.swampsauce.com/Picture%20183.jpg

You do not get alot of smoke flavor, but you get consistancy. Contests are more about consistancy than smoke. For home cooking it is great as well, set and look at it every couple hours just to make sure everything is going as supposed to. 99% of the time it does. Cooks other stuff good as well. THE best hamburger I have ever had had come off my FE. NO flipping, just put them in and take them off in about 20 minutes. But we go back to the not alot of smoke. I sold mine and bought one of these, www.superiorsmokers.com So far it is just as steady as the fe. But I get more smoke flavor IF I want it. I have never owned a stickburner. If I had to choose between the FE and Superior, I would take the Superior. I feel I have more options as to how I want the food to taste. Now this is only my opinion so take it for what you paid for it :P

I have cooked on a FE-100 a few times and to tell the truth it wasn't that much fun. Oh sure, product came out great, but it was too easy. I can see why caterers and bulk food service folk like them. Put the meat in and walk away till it's time to serve. No fire management involved. That's half the fun.

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
I have cooked on a FE-100 a few times and to tell the truth it wasn't that much fun. Oh sure, product came out great, but it was too easy. I can see why caterers and bulk food service folk like them. Put the meat in and walk away till it's time to serve. No fire management involved. That's half the fun.

Pigs

I couldnt agree more Pigs. Tendin the fire is half the fun, but I would like to eventually compete and cater. I cant afford the smoker I want right now and thought that this might be a good direction to go in......especially for catering.

Well you guys that think tending fire is half the fun need to get out more!

I like playing with fire as much as the next guy but after a few cooks it loses its allure really fast especially after 13 or 14 hours. I like sleep more than tending fires but with that being said sleeping and BBQ don't necesarily go hand in hand no matter what you're cooking on even pellet cookers. If you're thinking of competing either don't plan on sleeping, take a nap between 8-12 pm (my preferred method, almost impossible to do) or hopefully you can do shifts with a teammate.

For the record I have a Fast Eddy, a Traeger, and an offset and currently compete with an offset. If you're not getting the smokiness you like on Fast Eddy just let the meat set a few hours at 180 degrees or so. You'll get a nice smoke ring. I do get a better one on my offset though especially when cooking pork butts. If you know what you're doing you can get the results you want on any cooker. Some just require more effort than others. There is no law that says you can't own one of everything. Trust me on that one! :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom