Tortilla Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never tried this recipe, but a guy a use to work with gave it to me.

6 cups Flour
1 cup shortening
2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
2 Cups Hot Water, not boiling

1. Mix Flour, salt & baking powder.

2. Add shortening

3. Add water as needed.

4. Roll out small amount as thin as desired. Grill to desired doneness.

I always make in the bread moochine on the dough setting. Use about 3-4 cups of flour..little salt..wad of Crisco about half the size of a tennis ball..enough water to make a dough. Let it beat em to death till the cycle runs. Grease up your hands and form the dough into balls about the size of golf ball. Set em on a floured board cover with a Tee Towel..bar towel etc and let em rest about 30 mins. Start dusting em off with flour and roll em out on a floured board with a rolling pin till look like a circle. Thinner the mo betta. Roast em up on both sides in a dry cast iron skillet till they get little brown splotches and start smelling good..then flip em. If they bubble up poke the bubble with a fork. They cook muy pronto in a hot skillet. Serve with plenty of cow butter and salt. Whutever your serving with em will not be as good as them:)

bigwheel

All purpose flour like your granny would keep in her cannister. They also sell some stuff called Masa Harina and Masa Trigo in bags at the grocery store ethinic section most likely. Harina makes corn taurplians and the Trijo make flour. Lot of Mexicans use it. Made by Quaker I think. Taint too bad.

bigwheel

First chili cookoff I ever went to had a recipe which called to be thickened with Masa. I dont know whut the problemo was but it never would dissolve right. Made it taste like it had sand in it. Now some drunk coulda throwed a handful of sand in it for all I know. Bunch of folks running to and fro. After that I had a brief affair with cornstarch..then I give up plumb up on the thickening strategy. I just keep the liquids right on the front end and adjust the lid and fire so it comes out thick by itself. Gets rids of that old slick mouthfeel from cornstarch and dont have to worry about sand in it. Now I have never stooped low enough to put flour in chili:)

bigwheel

Well hell! I didnt know that was stoopin, I learned that from a drinkin buddy! But we werent competin'....well maybe he wasnt. :P

Well it might work ok for eating chili. We get a lot of Mexican spices in this area called "Fiesta" brand assembled by the Bolner spice co. in San Antone. Near all their dried peppas and chili powder packages have a recipe on there for chili using flour. In fact betcha I can find it and post it in the recipe section...if I can find that.

bigwheel

I just ordered a few spices yesterday to make a red chili I saw on pickled pig forum....I cant wait to try it.

Well where did you order it from? If it wasn't from Pendereys in Foat Wuth you done ordered from the wrong place.

bigwheel

dollarbill said:
I just ordered a few spices yesterday to make a red chili I saw on pickled pig forum....I cant wait to try it.

bigwheel said:
Well where did you order it from? If it wasn't from Pendereys in Foat Wuth you done ordered from the wrong place.

bigwheel

dollarbill said:

Yup, Foat Wuth and MildBills for the rest of it.

lo and behold, I got a Chowhound email today with this in it...

"he choice between corn and flour tortillas is largely a matter of personal preference, but Dee S says some rules apply. “Corn tortillas are generally smaller and less sturdy than flour tortillas,” she explains. “Flour tortillas are probably most associated with Tex-Mex or Americanized Mexican.” Flour tortillas may work better in Tex-Mex dishes like burritos, quesadillas, and fajitas; corn works best in more traditional Mexican dishes like tacos, enchiladas, tostadas, and flautas.

“If you want to be more ‘traditional’ or ‘Mexican’ choose corn, but it you prefer the taste and texture of flour, choose those,” advises paulj. “And if you know from experience that this restaurant has particularly good ones of one type, choose those.” Corn stands up to saucy preparations like enchiladas, and flour tortillas take sweetening better, says paulj.

Dang Cappy...could have saved you some Googling on that one. Next time just axe your pals and forget checking in with them strangers.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
First chili cookoff I ever went to had a recipe which called to be thickened with Masa. I dont know whut the problemo was but it never would dissolve right.
bigwheel

Was it Masa Harina (corn flour) or was it Masa (cornmeal). I coat my cut up meat in masa harina and brown it real good...then continue on with the chili-cookin'...always thickens up real nice and no grit. :)

Hmmm...I remember it say Masa but I dont think it said Harina. It was some type of instant stuff which the recipe say to mix with warm water sorta like the strategy on Wick Fowlers.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom