HELP HELP!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
i JUST BOUGHT A PORK SHOULDER W/ PICNIC AND IT STINKS LIKE BAD EGGS/SULFERISH .......IS THAT NORMAL? i JUST RETURNED ONE AND GOT ANOTHER TO COOK TODAY BUT THIS ONE STINKS TOO.......Im not sure if i should put it on the wsm or return this one too.....and ive already strted my colas! :evil: THANKS FOR THE HELP

TAKE THEM BACK! When it doubt, throw it out! I have had butts in vacuum pack that had a little smell to them. But to be safe I took them back. Better to be safe than sorry!

Pigs

I'm with Pigs.

I ain't cooking it unless it smells fresh.

Some folks say a little smell is ok and it will go away once rinsed. I just don't think I could force myself to cook anything that is rank, even the least bit.

Cliff H. said:
I'm with Pigs.

Some folks say a little smell is ok and it will go away once rinsed. I just don't think I could force myself to cook anything that is rank, even the least bit.
Yea Cliff, I have heard it a zillion times, "just rinse it off with white vinegar, and it's fine." Not this cat!

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Cliff H.":1g0fs7fo]I'm with Pigs.

Yea Cliff, I have heard it a zillion times, "just rinse it off with white vinegar, and it's fine." Not this cat!

Pigs[/quote:1g0fs7fo]

Im out the door now. thanks

dollarbill said:
Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
[quote="Cliff H.":1zt7dfcb]I'm with Pigs.

Pigs

Im out the door now. thanks[/quote:1zt7dfcb]
Let us know how it goes. Pics would be nice too. ;)

Pigs

it's called stinky butt syndrome. Happens one or twice out of every
hundred butts. Happens more so from small grocery stores as opposed
to Sam's, etc.

I take mine back.

Cryovac butts round here have some smell ta em, it's the gas given off an bein sealed inta that airproof bag.

If after a rinse it don't go away, then ya got yerself a problem. Ya won't find one round here that don't have a bit a smell to it, however it shouldn't flat out stink niether!

Ok Im back......I talked to thte butcher and he said it didnt smell to him. I looked at him like he was crazy. He went to the back and got another cryovaced john morrell butt and cut it open.....it had the same smell but not as bad. He said he thinks its just because they are not packed with any preserves or additives. (Hes a really cool guy to talk to).

Thats the 3rd one in about 6 months that ive returned......but there aint no way im cookin a butt that smells that bad..

Thanks for the fast responses......I got a new camera yesterday so ill post some pics a little later if beer doesnt stop me. :shock:

dollarbill said:
Ok Im back......I talked to thte butcher and he said it didnt smell to him. I looked at him like he was crazy. He went to the back and got another cryovaced john morrell butt and cut it open.....it had the same smell but not as bad. He said he thinks its just because they are not packed with any preserves or additives. (Hes a really cool guy to talk to).

Thats the 3rd one in about 6 months that ive returned......but there aint no way im cookin a butt that smells that bad..

Thanks for the fast responses......I got a new camera yesterday so ill post some pics a little later if beer doesnt stop me. :shock:

I don't think anyone on this board uses anything but 100% all natural.......Well except for Bigwheel.....Is there a Sam's Club near you ?

Cliff H. said:
dollarbill said:

I don't think anyone on this board uses anything but 100% all natural.......Well except for Bigwheel.....Is there a Sam's Club near you ?

Ya, im aware of that. I was just explainin what he/ the butcher thought the reason was.

ya we gotta sams about 5 miles from here. Albertsons is around the corner. :D

picnic is at 142 right now and startin to look real good! been cookin at bout 250*.

img_184035_0_b739ccecb108d122bcf74e0db13ce9ce.jpg

Looks good to me I think they just jacking with ya. Now if you gonna rush back to the sto with every chunk of cryoed pork which reeks of sulphur you gonna spend a lot of time going to and fro. The sulphur smell is perfectly normal and like the man say its caused by some kinda gas production. The strongness and rankness of the odor is a function of how long it has been in the bag. The smell will soon dissapate when exposed to air. Now you can occasionally really get a bad one. If so it has a total different smell much mo equivalent to rotten cheese and only grows stronger as it sits till it will stink up your whole house. The butchers call it having one go "sour" and is usally caused by letting it get too hot at some point in the food distribution chain. Can also be caused by a pin hole leak in the cryo...and they dont make the cryo near as thick as even a few years back so it mo prone to happen nowadays.

bigwheel

Thanks BW.....I wasnt sure if you guys could just look at it and say
"oh look he forgot to trim the whatever...its gonna stink" Which leads me to my next question......do you guys trim the skin off around the picnic? I never have and seems to be ok just wonderin what everyone else does. Thanks again!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom