Smoking cheese

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
OK, did another cheese smoke. I put chedar and montery jack in the Meadow Creek off-set. I used 7 charcoal bricketts in the fire box with a small length of apple wood laid on top (wrist size).
The chamber temp never went above 80*. Light smoke for maybe 90 minutes.
The smoke taste was light, but had a bitter bite to it. It sucks. I think I'll give up on this project.

Rag said:
OK, did another cheese smoke. I put chedar and montery jack in the Meadow Creek off-set. I used 7 charcoal bricketts in the fire box with a small length of apple wood laid on top (wrist size).
The chamber temp never went above 80*. Light smoke for maybe 90 minutes.
The smoke taste was light, but had a bitter bite to it. It sucks. I think I'll give up on this project.
I was told that ya can't smoke cheese in a off-set stick burner. True? I think not. But it would take allot of skill. (just thinking) to get a clean burn at such a low temp. I use a GODSM box with a electric burner in it. Works okay for me. Electric burner works good for sausage in that unit too. Might try to pre burn your wood next time. (if there is a next time) I use a mix of saw dust to do mine also. Just can't help but think your not getting complete combustion. Just a thought. Please correct me if wrong.

Pigs

Rag said:
I'm gonna buy my smoked cheese from now on. :LOL:
I like hash too. Oh wrong cheese. :LOL: Sorry it didn't work out for you Ron. When I first started it was frustrating too. But since I went to a electric burner, things have been fine. It's hard to keep a clean low heat when doing cheese or sausage. That's why I go electric now. Work smarter, not harder. That's trouble for me. ;) Witt may have some input. Old Dave has some valuable info also.

Pigs

Hey Old Dave welcome. Course I'm way to busy to mess with smoking cheese..but will vote for them who say to use a one eyed Wally World hot plate with a pie pan on top. Put a chunk of wood in the pan..shut the door and come back later. Like the man say use a cardboard box if you wanna. That is the best way to cold smoke just about anythang I can think of. Make sure your wood got bark on it that is where the flavor is at cept on peecan and maybe hickory where the best flavor of the tree is in the nutshells.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom