Salmon help.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dollarbill

Head Chef
Doin' a cook today and have half a salmon (2lbs.) I was going to smoke it but with what flavors? Ive heard Tarrogon leaves but Im not sure. Ill start in about 1 and 1/2 hours from now. Thanks! Also i dont have a cedar plank. :cry: :D :D

Thanks pigs, My options are apple, orange, mesquite. Its good to know not to oversmoke it. I was only going to hit it lightly anyways though just to get an idea if I ever do more. I personally am not a huge fan of most freshwater fish. Anyone else? ;)

dollarbill said:
Thanks pigs, My options are apple, orange, mesquite. Its good to know not to oversmoke it. I was only going to hit it lightly anyways though just to get an idea if I ever do more. I personally am not a huge fan of most freshwater fish. Anyone else? ;)
Guy brings me salmon from the lake around here. I brine it and smoke it. Will I eat it? HELL NO. too much pollution in lake.

Pigs

SMOKED SALMON BRINE

1/3 c. brown sugar
1/4 c. non-iodized salt
2 c. soy sauce
1 c. water
1/2 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. Tabasco sauce
1 c. dry white wine

Brine salmon chunks 8 or more hours, keeping refrigerated.
If ya get a little on the hot side with your pit a "curd" will show up. No worry, just scrape it off with a knife. Make damn sure you use K salt.
Good luck, and let us know how it goes. pics please. ;)

Pigs

I would take it back right quick and get some canned Salmon and make fried salmon patties. Only thang mo betta on earth is carp patties. Now I could show ya how to make patties outta the fresh salmon but it would be purty labor intensive. I just take it back and get some of the real McCoy so to speak. Pinto beans...corn bread...fried tates and fried okry to go with. Pass the home growed tomaters and raw onyawn on the side. Also Sirriachi and maybe a few pickled japs. Got to have real cow butter on the cornbread. Your making me hongry here.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Only thang mo betta on earth is carp patties.
bigwheel

Thats terrible. Carp patties? I could barely swallow salmon patties that the mother in law made......ahh that is nasty,lol blah yuk allthhh

my old man made me throw them in to the brush when i cought em' back in the day. 70's early 80's ha.

Well Carp is the best tasting fish in the world..it just boney sorta like Trout. Catfish is for everyday...Carp is for company.

bigwheel

I had tooooo many beers last night and forgot to brine it. I woke up and started the brine this morning. Ill post pics tonight after i cook it. Probably about 7 is. Im gonna leave it in brine for 8 to 9 hours.

dollarbill said:
I had tooooo many beers last night and forgot to brine it. I woke up and started the brine this morning. Ill post pics tonight after i cook it. Probably about 7 is. Im gonna leave it in brine for 8 to 9 hours.
Oh hell, that never happens around here. ;) :LOL:

Pigs

img_181590_0_9817c28927bc7396a538aa35368412be.jpg

img_181590_1_8bc61b0f07d849fb93251e36473eadcf.jpg

sorry the camera sucks....the flash is broke too

Nobody asked, but here's a salmon tip:

The thorax part of a salmon fillet has a string of small bones, called pin bones, sticking up at about a 45° angle in the thickest part of the fillet. These should be removed before cooking so that you and your guests don't have to deal with them while eating.

Invert a large mixing bowl and lay the fillet across it, tail end away from you, skin side down. The bones will be very apparent. Grip each one in turn with your tool of choice -- I've used needlenose pliers but I prefer the locking forceps/hemostat I keep in the tackle box for removing hooks -- wiggle the bone a little to loosen it, then pull it out toward the direction of the head, keeping the angle of pull close to the angle of growth. If the fish is real fresh, you might need to press lightly with finger and thumb on either side of the bone you're pulling, to keep from tearing the meat.

--John
(I learned this technique from Mrs Griff -- Dian -- the best salmon-filleter I've ever seen. :D )

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom