DSL...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greg Rempe

Web Celeb
Moderator Emeritus
Does anyone have DSL at their house? I am looking at switching out to it and I have heard in the past that you can only be a "certain number" of feet away from the phone line for it to work properly. Is this what any of you who have it were told prior to installing it?

I have a "dry loop" connection with VERISON and it works great. My home phone is on VONAGE and no problems there. Saves us big bucks and most of all it works. (little over a year) Works for us. I'd say go for it. Only thing I was told was the longer you are away from a sub station the slower it will go. True? Don't know.

Pigs

We had DSL & went with cable later. DSL was slower, about 1/2 the speed in this area

The package I am looking at has a 6MB speed on the downstream...which is quicker and cheaper than my cable right now.

The dsl runs $35/mo vs. $56.

I looked into DSL once upon a time and was told by the phone company it wouldn't work very well at my house. Like the other fella say I am too far from the switching station..I have fiber optic cables and a "pair gain" phone line. Whutever the pair gain thang is they apparently hook up two houses to the same line. If they get me rocking and rolling the neighbor suffers and vice versa. Cable is hard to beat.

bigwheel

I did just talk with my sister in law...she said the upload is 1.5MB...good enough for me...and faster than what I have! SWITCHING! :D

We have DSL here in Denmark SC and we love it. The phone company tech felas came in ran us a dedicated line to the desk top, they told us that doing it that way means less problems with speed and that we dont have to have those filter boxes in all the phone jacks inside the house. Once you go DSL and get it hooked up right you will never go bck to dial up . And as we have a laptop as well , they fixed us up with a router and a wireless connection to match. They set both connection up with as much speed as possible. They were here about a hour to make sure it was working before they left.

Speed is 54.0 Mbps, Signal Strength Sent 256.900 , Recieved 372.072

JamesB said:
Is Verizon FIOS available in your area? I've been the DSL, Cable route and now FIOS... It ROCKS! at 30MB DL/5MB up, I can't complain...

I have been waiting for that...but alas...it is not available here (yet?)!

AND, my sister in law told me last night that whoever at AT&T doing the confirmation of the order said my house was only available to get the 1.5MB package...SO, it looks like I am not going to be doing any kind of changing now! DAMN IT!!

I have heard in the past that you can only be a "certain number" of feet away from the phone line for it to work properly
close, it's actually distance away from the CO (central office) you know, the little shack they have in most areas where all the phone lines in the area are connected. They have to install equipment in the COs to support DSL and the distance from the CO is a limitation of the technology. It's around 3 miles IIRC. The closer you are the better your connection will be.

As noted above cable has a much much larger potential bandwidth, but you usually have to pay to turn it on. I pay $30 for 10 mbps down 1 mbps up and that's plenty for me. For $100/month I can get 25 mbps down 1 mbps up. Besides, just because you have the bandwidth doesn't mean it available to you from the servers you download your your stuff from and all the way through. Gamespot for example limits your game demo download bandwidth unless you sign up to be a member. Also, if the cable ISP has a lousy network you could still have lots of lag and poor practical bandwidth.

DSL is not shared, but cable is. Again, the cable ISP has to do things decently or you will suffer a slow connection at peak times because you are on a shared netwrok. They need to segment the traffic to minimize this. When I first got cable it was horrible during peak times ... they had too many suscribers per network segment. But they kept adding equipment and now the issue is non-existent.

My cable ISP is great. I wouldn't go back to DSL.

Well somebody tell me some secret to make mine run faster on boot up. Takes forever to load up and noticed the worst problemo started when I took the free virus checker from the Cable Company. Anybody got a good cure? Now I am too cheap to buy a different virus checker. Used AVG for a long time then they started sending nag screens wanting money so got rid of that one quick.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well somebody tell me some secret to make mine run faster on boot up. Takes forever to load up and noticed the worst problemo started when I took the free virus checker from the Cable Company. Anybody got a good cure? Now I am too cheap to buy a different virus checker. Used AVG for a long time then they started sending nag screens wanting money so got rid of that one quick.

bigwheel

Time to get a Mac.

bigwheel said:

bigwheel
BW you could check the options ... it might be set to do a full system scan on start up. It's probably best to leave auto check for updates enabled ... without those it becomes pointless to even use anti-virus ... but you can schedule full system scan once a week or month.

One way you might speed things up even more is to put the PC into standby mode, then wake it up ... I use it all the time ... it'll just take a sec to reestablish the network connection and you're good to go. on Win XP it's Start -> Turn Off PC then select Standby. You move the mouse or tap a key or toush the power button to wake it up depending on your PC. HTH

Scot: swithc house works for me :) makes more sense than CO.

I switched to cable and now I can get FREE ATT service if I would switch back, until the time runs out and your back to expensive that is.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom