Tadays Mahogany Shoulder Bacon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbilly1

Sous Chef
img_180181_0_4cf45b9966db32446d2e65fe5b2f0819.jpg

Here they be after a nice slow smoke at 200* over maple wood.

img_180181_1_86e21f3f79a30665485947945b313b09.jpg

One of several plates a sliced bacon, my little slicer does a perty fair job, sure be nice when I get the kitchen done an can use the commercial slicer!

img_180181_2_c0fb3995bc13966491ed7e6a4840e342.jpg

All sliced an vac packed! Most a this batch is fer orders, but got a couple fer myself an a couple packages a bacon bits fer recipes!

Hey Maynard that looks purty tasty. Now one of the best pals I prob got in the world is an old transplanted yankee from Iowa. Have known him about 20 yrs and have ate lunch with him near everday for the past decade. Since he moved down here as an adult type person I have noticed he has keep up with Iowa culinary habits. Can't eat chili w/o kidney beans and celery etc if you get my drift. Now I will axe him about this one on Monday but how come yall like to call the product we is getting to look at bacon? When any Texican past age five could just look at it and figger out its ham. Whut is up on this deal? Thanks.

bigwheel

Well you made me go do a little wikkapeding:

The USDA defines bacon as "the cured belly of a swine carcass"; other cuts and characteristics must be separately qualified (e.g., "smoked pork loin bacon")..snip snip

Guess since you calling your stuff "shoulder bacon" that is enough of a qualifier to satisfy the guv'ment. Now wonder how them Canadians get away without calling their product "Smoked Pork Loin Bacon" as opposed to trying to make folks think it real bacon from a furrin country eh?

Now how would a bacon cure differ from a ham cure if you don't mind a person being nosey of course?

Dat is great looking HAM.

bigwheel

Hillbilly said:
It's a bacon cure, workin on a ham cure fer the same cut a meat.

bigwheel said:

The USDA defines bacon as "the cured belly of a swine carcass"; other cuts and characteristics must be separately qualified (e.g., "smoked pork loin bacon")..snip snip

Guess since you calling your stuff "shoulder bacon" that is enough of a qualifier to satisfy the guv'ment. Now wonder how them Canadians get away without calling their product "Smoked Pork Loin Bacon" as opposed to trying to make folks think it real bacon from a furrin country eh?

Now how would a bacon cure differ from a ham cure if you don't mind a person being nosey of course?

bigwheel

Hillbilly said:
Probably cuz the USDA.....doens't have any say in Canada ;)
and you are right its some good looking HAM :LOL:

Wow..with that stance agin big guv'ment gonna take a wild guess you didn't vote for Osama:) Now whut is the special ingredients which turns picnic ham to mahogony shoulder bacon? Enquiring minds need to know this kinda stuff. Have you had any expuriences making silk purses out of a sow's ear perhaps? :LOL:

bigwheel

Dang good point about that USDA bizness Witt. Doubt they got any authority over furrin foods..or even peanut factories in GA...don't even get me started on pesticide laden rabbit food from Chile and mercury in the vitamins produced by the Chicom Commies..using Christian Slave Labor no doubt. Your keen insight and intellect never ceases to amaze me..and I aint easily amazed. You sure your a yankee?

bigwheel

wittdog said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

Hillbilly said:
Probably cuz the USDA.....doens't have any say in Canada ;)
and you are right its some good looking HAM :LOL:

Ok well when you get the secret recipe perfected we gonna be needing it muy pronto:) Now we have plenty of Beta Test stuff..we looking for the finished product ;) Thanks.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom