Jerky pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I recently had to buy a new dehydrator to dry peppers for my rubs and decided it was time to try jerky. Here's my first attempt made from a deer ham and Hi Mountain dry marinade. Turned out pretty good, but I have some beef down in Wittdogs wet marinade that I believe I'll like better both for flavor and ease of marinading. It will go into the dehydrator Mon. I'll try smoking the next batch. I found the deer ham to require a lot of trimming and had a lot of waste, other than the obvious backstrap, is there a better cut to use for jerky?

Looks good...I like top round or brisket for jerky making...you inspired me...we picked up two top rounds today to be make into jerky monday..I also have 2 corned beef/pastrami to get smoked monday that came out of the brine yesterday.

If you speaking a different part of a Bambi in which to get meat..think a person is purty well stuck with the legs and backstrap. If there some other place where meat hides on one of them thangs I never have been able to find it. If your speaking of including cow into the equation as the fella say round is purty hard to beat. I usually just wait to see round steak on sale and grab some. Lady I know down here makes it and passes it at the local watering hole. She uses eye of round and has the butcher slice it up into uniform sized discs for her. Aint sure how thick is the raw meat but you can purty well read a newspaper through the finished product. Taking a wild guess it starts life 1/4" thick or maybe less. She uses some kind Terriyaki marinate of which I aint particular fond but according to her the system is ideal due to lack of waste and shortage of manuel labor etc. Purty sure the slices go direct from the wrapper into the marinate.

bigwheel

big dude said:
I recently had to buy a new dehydrator to dry peppers for my rubs and decided it was time to try jerky. Here's my first attempt made from a deer ham and Hi Mountain dry marinade. Turned out pretty good, but I have some beef down in Wittdogs wet marinade that I believe I'll like better both for flavor and ease of marinading. It will go into the dehydrator Mon. I'll try smoking the next batch. I found the deer ham to require a lot of trimming and had a lot of waste, other than the obvious backstrap, is there a better cut to use for jerky?

Back
Top Bottom