charcoal basket- PICS ADDED

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Im almost done with my UDS. I have an old cooking pot out in the garage that i want to make a charcoal basket out of, its about 14 in wide and about 10 in deep. Im just gonna drill a bunch of holes in it, Yall think that would be ok for a charcoal basket? Ill post pictures tommorrow of it.

I had my brother burn a bunch of holes is an old 18" kettle base one time when I was in a bind.

Very time consuming and not a real good charcoal basket.

I really think you will be happier with a 10" width of expanded steel wrapped around a small charcoal grate.

Well i went ahead and made a basket out of the pot, just wanted to use stuff i already had. I think the smoker came out alright considering i dont have a welder and limited tools and very little patience. It defantily aint perfect but I'm happy with it, i reckon thats all that matters.

img_179387_0_c4459805a01a99e065b1ea8eec11af91.jpg

img_179387_1_f491e3c5ad2f258ac29ce6f41db09f5e.jpg

img_179387_2_3add39f49c85ebdd7d77be7f3305b3fd.jpg

Looks like it will work but I'd be a little concerned about the finish on the pot.
You might want to burn that off.

Puff said:
Looks like it will work but I'd be a little concerned about the finish on the pot.

I thought cookin pots were saposed to hold up to high heat. But i will try to burn it off.

Best looking charcoal basket I ever seen if you can stand it being that tall should work like a champ. Cut a round circle of expanded to metal to rest on the bottom and it will last about 10 years longer than it normally would..and give mo betta air intake to the fire. Put a coupla fire bricks under the expanded metal and you should be able to pass it off to the grand kids. Now it might need a new barrell by that time:) Now that will make it heavy. Try not to pop a hernia.

PS edit: Don't try to burn the coating off of it. Thats why they put it on there so to make it not easy to come off. You get rid of the coating it will wear out quick. Rust etc. That be like trying to burn the coating off an ECB fire pan. Its some kinda high temp porcelan enamel blah blah blah. Not designed or intended to be burned off. Fumes is harmless as far as I know.

bigwheel

0341SteelRain said:
Puff said:

I thought cookin pots were saposed to hold up to high heat. But i will try to burn it off.
Maybe with something other than charcoal in it.
Not really sure on it. Just a concern. ;)

well say i make another one out of expanded metal. How big yall think i should make it? I want it big enough to last to cook a whole pork shoulder. I was thinkin about the same size as the WSM charcoal ring.

0341SteelRain said:
well say i make another one out of expanded metal. How big yall think i should make it? I want it big enough to last to cook a whole pork shoulder. I was thinkin about the same size as the WSM charcoal ring.
Use an 18 in. charcoal grate and (Like Cliff said)a 10 in. wide piece of expanded metal. That will hold plenty of coal for long cooks.

You could have had more fun making those holes if you used a 9mm at the range! :D
I found once the enamel comes off those type of pots they rust super quick. The enamel was there to begin with to protect the steel.

I have my doubts as to whether or not this will stand up to the heat. My klose basket's dividers have warped to some degree. Hope it works for you but don't be surprised if it doesn't. You might get a couple of burns out of it but long term...I think you'd be better off with heavy,and I mean like 6-8ga) expanded floor grating. Hope I'm wrong. Let us know.

Well I dont think drilling through the enamel is going to be much mo earth shattering than drilling holes in the firepan of an ECB. It will rust out quicker around the holes for sure..but should be good for several years. Now if a person wants a good firepan and can deal with the size and shape etc..the SS perforated steam table pans are hard to beat. I used a shallow one for years in the upright configuration..and I have a piece of expanded metal that just fits the bottom and covers up the big hole where it has burned out. Prob get another 10 out of it if necessary. The bottom is apparently the achilles heel on all these things. The sides dont catch near as much heat apparently. I am currently looking for the deep dish model.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom