What's cookin' this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Puff1

Chef Extraordinaire
Man cold as all get out here!! -25 tonight! :shock: It was warmer in Anchorage this morning.
I have a big pot of beef and barley soup simmering. I also picked up a nice flank steak for fajitas, anyone have a good marinade idea for it?

What's everyone else cooking this weekend? Seems like the whole country ('cept Alaska) is cold and feeling the bite of ol' man winter.

Well, saturday is the big chili cook... I took BW's advice only because there is no RSVP and I hate wasting food.. As for BBQ, I will make some Pork Butts this weekend on the WSM 22.. have fun everybody...

Threw a fatty and some chicken on Chubby. No pics. I was playing with temp control using wadded up foil in the water pan. Works great. Better than sand I think.

Tomorrow is a chuck roast with tators and gravy. Sunday is fast cook brisket.

Captain Morgan said:
I've got a cold....making veggie soup. Making the base
with beef short ribs right now.

you'd be proud scotty.
He are the King o' soup. 8)

Primo will have to wait another day :) I'll be going to the Clippers game on Saturday night for $10 beers and 5 buck hot dawgs. That is, if all goes well.

Helen_Paradise said:
Primo will have to wait another day :) I'll be going to the Clippers game on Saturday night for $10 beers and 5 buck hot dawgs. That is, if all goes well.
:roll:

We went out for pizza tonight.

I have a whole bunch of meat in the freezer but damn its cold out side. Ugh -30 brrrrrr

Maybe just some fatties and a shoulder.

Tomorrow I'm doing ribs, then smoking japs and habs, then doing picnic halves overnight ($0.99 sale on the picnics ... for some reason they think it's cool to cut them in half then package together, ah w/e, more bark).

Local butcher just hooked me up with a 5.25 lb USDA prime brisket flat for normal price. Guess someone flaked on a big order. Never cooked a prime before. Will start bright and early tomorrow morning!

Any advise for a prime vs. choice brisket? Lower temps? I don't want to ruin it. I can definitely see a difference in marbling. It's beautiful, actually :)

Should be cold as hel here but it may hit 53F tomorrow. I'm not complaining, but we need more snow pack... the lakes are drying up!

Dang Boy..sounds like a purty smart Quebeckerpecker or Canadian eh? I aint neva had the pleasure of a split picnic. They do it down the middle or sideways? Now had some cajun boys try to come into bizness up here in God's Country one time. The health goons wouldn't let em smoke outside and the landlord goon wouldn't let smoke inside. Whut is there for a mother to do on this deal? Yuppers you guessed it. They made fresh sausage in the back room and got cryoed Earl Campbells for them who want somthing smoked. They also had some real crappy januine cajun smoked andouille in the cryo. Would be enough to make most grown men puke. Somebody need to teach them cajuns how to make sausage:) At any rate..the cajun who run the Sausage Shoppe said they had made sausage out of boneless picnics but it turned out too fat. They went back to boneless butts. Now I figger if they can offer em up boneless a person should be able to find one which has been split. Thanks for the info.

bigwheel

Shawn White said:
Tomorrow I'm doing ribs, then smoking japs and habs, then doing picnic halves overnight ($0.99 sale on the picnics ... for some reason they think it's cool to cut them in half then package together, ah w/e, more bark).

Well I do flats as was taught by an ex-spurt old tall skinny ugly boy who happen to be married to IBCA LYnn..bbq Mom etc. You come up with a mop/sop. You put the flat in the smoke fat down at around 250 along with the mop in a sauce pan so as to keep it all warmish. Once an hour dribble some of the mop on the lean top side with a SS Tablespoon..dont never touch the meat. After about 3 hours roll out.....

I charge only twenty bucks for the rest of the story. Let me know.

bigwheel

Tony M said:
Local butcher just hooked me up with a 5.25 lb USDA prime brisket flat for normal price. Guess someone flaked on a big order. Never cooked a prime before. Will start bright and early tomorrow morning!

Any advise for a prime vs. choice brisket? Lower temps? I don't want to ruin it. I can definitely see a difference in marbling. It's beautiful, actually :)

Should be cold as hel here but it may hit 53F tomorrow. I'm not complaining, but we need more snow pack... the lakes are drying up!

Went out and had fried shrimp tonight. Tomorrow night going to fry white perch filets. Sunday going to smoke up some baby backs. Wife just told me she made chicken and sasuage gumbo to eat sometime this weekend. Guess I will put on all the weight I lost this week. :oops:

Whew now this is krewlish and unusual punishment:) Now whut pray tell is a "white perch" could that be Crappie perhaps? If not is there any other comonplace names for it? I have heard that terminology before and seems like in the context of Crappie but just aint shore. You know whut is a "di dipper" and a "gasper goo" by any chance? Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
...I aint neva had the pleasure of a split picnic. They do it down the middle or sideways?...
The same direction as from lopping off the hock, they just slide it over and saw again ... you might say lengthwise.

Here's one of the packages I bought:

img_178118_0_6d7b27991c0b784c8e9cf505a31bdd36.jpg

There's a pic here of some done back in the summer right after brushing with the bottom of the sop pot (all the rub and stuff at the bottom). I just leave the skin on and stand em up on the skin side when I can to smoke em, if they sit well. Those particular ones were really moist and tender, I'd have put em up against anybodies shoulder butt with no shame. At $.99/lb can't beat the price either. Best price I can get shoulder butt is $2/lb if I buy 8 whole in cryo (case). Retail is about $3.50/lb.

bigwheel said:
Whew now this is krewlish and unusual punishment:) Now whut pray tell is a "white perch" could that be Crappie perhaps? If not is there any other comonplace names for it? I have heard that terminology before and seems like in the context of Crappie but just aint shore. You know whut is a "di dipper" and a "gasper goo" by any chance? Thanks.

bigwheel
You got it Bigwheel. It's the same thing as a crappie. Ones I'll be cooking are the black crappie. Aka sac-a-lait in south Lousiana. Here is a link to learn what they are called in other parts of the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie

Back
Top Bottom