What's cookin' this weekend?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Tannehill Kid said:
bigwheel said:
Whew now this is krewlish and unusual punishment:) Now whut pray tell is a "white perch" could that be Crappie perhaps? If not is there any other comonplace names for it? I have heard that terminology before and seems like in the context of Crappie but just aint shore. You know whut is a "di dipper" and a "gasper goo" by any chance? Thanks.

bigwheel
You got it Bigwheel. It's the same thing as a crappie. Ones I'll be cooking are the black crappie. Aka sac-a-lait in south Lousiana. Here is a link to learn what they are called in other parts of the country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie

What da hell kinda country boy fishermen are you two?? A crappie is a crappie and a white perch is a white perch, they are NOT the same! Whomever added that tidbit in Wiki is a big dummy! Probably Puff :roll: :LOL:

This is a Crappie
img_178142_0_043a943a1678f5d59e2fe21cd470b775.jpg

This is a White Perch
img_178142_1_af0541a3538a45cdabba200ad99f50e2.jpg

We have alot of both up here! But more yellow perch and walleye. Yellow perch is my favorite fish of all! Our limit is 30 per person!

John you guys need to come by down here....I'll have more time
than I did that day.

I'm entering a Brunswick Stew contest in North Carolina at the
end of the month, ya'll should come down here and warm up some.

Captain Morgan said:
John you guys need to come by down here....I'll have more time
than I did that day.

I'm entering a Brunswick Stew contest in North Carolina at the
end of the month, ya'll should come down here and warm up some.

I've heard a lot about Brunswick Stew and actually ate some in Georgia one time. Is yours the cook stuff all day version then make the stew or a bunch of stuff out of a can?

I like it and want to know how to REALLY make it!!

Please?

Thanks Larry..do believe you be right as usual. Had to go and do some research. Now no wonder I aint never seen one cuz they is yankee fish inhabiting the right handed part of the country. Now some folks in Texas call Sand Bass by the term White Bass I suppose to differentiate it from a Black Bass..or even them Peacock Bass which inhabit the Amazon River along with Pirranahs. I know rich folks who go down there to try to catch em.

http://www.landbigfish.com/fish/fish.cfm?ID=172

bigwheel

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crappie[/quote]

What da hell kinda country boy fishermen are you two?? A crappie is a crappie and a white perch is a white perch, they are NOT the same! Whomever added that tidbit in Wiki is a big dummy! Probably Puff :roll: :LOL:

This is a Crappie
img_178196_0_043a943a1678f5d59e2fe21cd470b775.jpg

This is a White Perch
img_178196_1_af0541a3538a45cdabba200ad99f50e2.jpg
[/quote]

Ok I am getting the pitcher on the split picnic. Think I can see a faint cut line running crosswise from high left to low right or vice versa. I nearly always split butts when they get in the 7 to 8 pound range or above course you no bone to deal with cept for whut is leftover on on side after splitting. Now me and picnic rinds dont play well together while they are still attached to the meat. I cook em for a while whole skin and all (cus thats how we get em and I dont own a bandsaw) then skin em and re-rub the wet spot in the meanwhile laying that skin out blubber side down on the grates. When the skin gets nice n crunchy like fried pork rinds and the middle of the meat get to around 185-190 and passing the poke test I figger its time to eat. Actually like to let em rest and relax wrapped in the hotbox for a few hourse first. I think just about all meat profits from that rest period.

bigwheel

Shawn White said:
bigwheel said:
...I aint neva had the pleasure of a split picnic. They do it down the middle or sideways?...
The same direction as from lopping off the hock, they just slide it over and saw again ... you might say lengthwise.

Here's one of the packages I bought:

img_178200_0_6d7b27991c0b784c8e9cf505a31bdd36.jpg

There's a pic here of some done back in the summer right after brushing with the bottom of the sop pot (all the rub and stuff at the bottom). I just leave the skin on and stand em up on the skin side when I can to smoke em, if they sit well. Those particular ones were really moist and tender, I'd have put em up against anybodies shoulder butt with no shame. At $.99/lb can't beat the price either. Best price I can get shoulder butt is $2/lb if I buy 8 whole in cryo (case). Retail is about $3.50/lb.

Not sure how many times I gots to splain this but whole barnyard avians are to be cooked breastes down. You have broken a rule. I will predict a dry breastes. Also shooting off a copy of all this to Emeril. He's really gonna be hot.

bigwheel

Nick Prochilo said:
I found a small turkey in the freezer the other day and I'm smoking it up now.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v206/nprochilo/?

Nick Prochilo said:
I found a small turkey in the freezer the other day and I'm smoking it up now.

Last 2 pictures. After I let it cool down, the skin got rubberie. Sorry BW, it was nice and moist, probably from the injection I gave it.

Well ok..glad it turned out good. The proof of the puddin is in the eatin. Thats an old adage that used to get bandied around down in Young County fairly often. Meaning of course if it is good to eat...you done it right:) Congrats. It sure is purty. Couldn't you find some little white booties to put on its feet? Or actually on the stump where feet used to be. Let me know.

bigwheel

Ron, don't want to hijack Nicks thread (Nick I think that was an
excellent cook considering the conditions) but brunswick stew
is a common side to barbecue in North Carolina. It's roots
are thick in Va, NC and Georgia, but surprisingly, it skipped
right over SC . SC eats a similar but distinctly different dish
called hash.

Back
Top Bottom