Your Ultimate Comfort Food

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
For you folks in the South and in other warm places, close your eyes and use your imagination...for the rest of us; we will be experiencing some of the coldest temps of the winter in the coming week. Lows below zero and highs only in the single digits (heat wave for Griff, but I digress).

When it gets really cold, that cold when you know you don't want to go outside, and you know it's coming...what is your ultimate "comfort food" to get you through it?

A gold old fashioned pig pot of homemade spaghetti sauce with meatballs and sausage From that the amount of additonal comfort foods that can be made are countless. At the top of my list are:

Lasagana
Veal and Chicken Parm
Baked Ziti

I'm also a big fan of fried chicken with mashed potatoes and gravy and what the heck some mac and cheese too!

A big bowl of veggie beef soup that has been in the crock pot all day, and a big hunk of corn bread.
Yum Yum

Either seafood or chicken and andouille Gumbo with a side of potato salad and hot french bread with butter and garlic......C'est Si Bon!!

Chicken and dumplings (with carrots and celery like Larry makes), Homemade pot pie, chili, bean soup with ham, and a big ol' pot of sketti and meatballs.
gsmith, that beef stew and dumplings sounds good. Recipe?

Ham and pintos and cornbread. Maybe biscuits and dried beef gravy, or maybe minute steaks and mashed potatoes and gravy for second. Call it a tie. Eggs over medium, link sausage, hashbrowns or grits or both, and a full stack of buttermilk pancakes on the side, with real maple syrup, crowds toward the top, too.

--John
(Darn, can't leave out chuck pot roast with potatoes, carrots and onions ... )

Well we have as least two sensible folks on here. I would pick a hearty beef stew/soup or Stoup as me and Rachel Ray calls it when we are alone. That be a cross twixt stew and soup for anybody who dont know any good TV shows to watch. Course got to have Pintos..cornbread with real cow butter and raw onyawns on the side. Pass the Sirriachi sauce at the table. Glad our cold snap finally broke or I would be making this today. Now whut is a crock pot? I cook my Stoup in a manly man huge high dollar All Clad brand stew pot with the waffered up bottom. Now you talk about a Stoup/Gumbo/Chili/CD/dirty rice cooking moochine. Make you chunk rocks at a crock pot..gag heave sputter. You cant brown the meat in one of them goofy thangs. The Lord gave them to us to keep stuff warm in the serving line at the church social. Now I dont need cold weather to make me crave chicken n dumplings...all it takes is to check my pulse. If I got one I want some:)

bigwheel

swampsauce said:
A big bowl of veggie beef soup that has been in the crock pot all day, and a big hunk of corn bread.
Yum Yum

Funny thing is (I realized after thinking about my list), none of my "comfort foods" goes back to when I was a kid, only to my 47 years of married life, during which I've done 90-95% of the cooking. Meals in the house where I grew up were not memorable, merely functional.

--John
(Besides salt and pepper, cinnamon and vanilla extract were just about the only spices in the cupboard.)

Had it 20 minutes ago. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes, and corn. Did a couple chicken and a couple meat loaves on the WSM today in the break in the weather! Got 12" of snow yesterday, and we are looking at high temps around 12 degrees this week.......

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom