dehydrator advise needed - ORDERED ONE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
I'm thinking of buying an LEM products dehydrator and wonder if any of you have any experience with it or any their other products. All advise appreciated.

Hey this has already been thrashed out I think. To dehydrate something a person needs a fan and piece of cheesecloth to keep the flies off of it. Thats the way the injuns made it cept they had squaws out there fanning it with mesquite limbs. Now if a person was a member of the Uraguyan n Soccer Team which crashed landed in the Andes about 20 years ago..you also just lay strips of meat on the wing of the airplane on a sunny day. That make jerky too.

bigwheel

I'm actually replacing the failed one that I use to dry the home grown peppers I use in my rub, so it's not a question of whether I should buy one, but which one. Thanks for any help.

I don't know much about the LEM line of Dehyrators, but if you know you are going to use it in a semi commercial way, I would get the one that has the most shelf space and has a durable frame and body so it can take extended use. I am looking for one for the same use (drying peppers and herbs), this is the one I plan to get:

http://www.lemproducts.com/product/681/61

Hope this helps!!

Well if you want to get complicated try using your oven with the heat turned as low as it will go and the door cracked 1/4 open..which usually be about right on the first notch where it wants to stay put at about 140 degrees. Plan on a couple of shuffles from from to back. Laying them out on a paper towel on a sunny window sill also works good but it takes a few days.

bigwheel

Thanks for the suggestions. I wish I were comfortable with the smokhouse idea as I'd like both a cold smoker and a dehydrator. Was affraid everything would taste like smoked meat or the meat would taste like smoked peppers. I read somewhere in the past that smoking meat and peppers in the same smoker was a no-no. I found a lot of discussion on a gardening forum and ended up ordering an Excalibur (from their site), 9 shelf on sale for $249 with free shipping and a 10 year warranty.

Back
Top Bottom