New Years Eve Menu

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bruce B

Master Chef
For those of us staying home and cooking dinner, lets see what we're all cooking tonight;

9.29lb Prime Rib Roast with Red Wine Sauce w/ Mustard and Thyme

Balsamic Marinated Portobello Mushrooms

Shrimp sauteed in garlic butter
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Whiskey Glazed Carrots
Dinner rolls
Merlot Wine to wash it down.

and for dessert, fresh out of the box Maria Callenders Chocolate Satin Pie

Everyone have a Happy New Year!!!!

Nice menu Bruce. Our bill of fair will be,
Venison back strap
Truffle oil mashed taters
Black eye peas
Collard greens (fresh out da can. as JB say)
Shrimp
ABT's
And who knows what else. :LOL:

Pigs

Captain Morgan said:
Bruce, I'd love the recipe for the red wine sauce...looking forward to the pics

I'll post it in the appropriate recipe section Cap.

Tannehill Kid said:
Wow that sounds great. Have you had a chance to use your rub yet.

Not yet TK but I have 3 racks of ribs thawing in the fridge and I'm using the Klose rub and Naked Pig's rub when I do them.

New Years Eve
Smoked Chicken Lasagna
Salad
Homemade Bread
Guinness Stout
Hot Fudge Sundaes

New Years Day
Black Angus Fillets (found some at Bjs $7LB)
Maybe some Lobster Tails
And I don’t know what else

Rib eyes and baked taters tonight.

Tomorrow, pork loin, sauerkraut and black eye peas.

Menu for New Years at my house will be:

Beef Wellington (blame Griff)
Scalloped potatoes
Brussell sprouts saute'd in bacon drippings with toasted pine nuts and bacon
Orange Dill Carrots

Tim

New Years Day
Spares
beer
Smoked cabbage
beer
Black eyed peas
beer
1pm Winter Classic hockey game 8)
beer

I prob have a can of Kroger brand vienner sausages with parmesium cheese on top..maybe a few crackers and a slice of cheese. I got a big pot o Hoppin John started on the stove but that for a party tomorrow. Can anybody believe somebody would invite me to a party? I think it be a first. As everybody knows I don't make friends easy. Now it prob be ready in time for supper tonight so I might knick nack around on some of that too. There is goona be plenty of peas at the Party cuz the host is making a big pot. I threatened to bring a couple of old leftover chili ribbons and turn it into a two man pea contest with sorta peoples choice judging. He acted nervous as well he should. He is januine ex yankme. Figger that boy get his coola kicked muy pronto. :LOL:
Now I sending up the flag for some assistance here. I sent the warden to bring dry blacked eyed peas and all Wally World had was fresh one which I guessing cost about 5 bucks and ounce. Now I have cooked fresh ones a few times but it been years. Somebody out there who kindly brush me up on how the dry and fresh differ in cooking characteristics? Now I know the fresh one's cook a lot quicker. Is this hot or cold? Any tips? I am only now getting the cooking liquid broth chuckling away happily. It basically browned up hocks with chicken broth and other good tasting stuff such as serrano peppas..celery..onyawn..bay leaf...garlic and onyawn powders blah blah blah. Thanks.

bigwheel

PS..Whut got me sorta cornfused was the directions on the fresh peas. It say to cook em in unsalted water tell they tender..drain..then proceed with whutever recipe you using. Cant hardly figger out why that be a good plan. Now it is a good way to de-phart pintos. Maybe thats whut they thinking. Let me know.

Bruce B said:
For those of us staying home and cooking dinner, lets see what we're all cooking tonight;

9.29lb Prime Rib Roast with Red Wine Sauce w/ Mustard and Thyme
Balsamic Marinated Portobello Mushrooms
Shrimp sauteed in garlic butter
Loaded Mashed Potatoes
Whiskey Glazed Carrots
Dinner rolls
Merlot Wine to wash it down.

and for dessert, fresh out of the box Maria Callenders Chocolate Satin Pie

Everyone have a Happy New Year!!!!

That sounds great. hope you post some pics.

Wow -- this is totally weird because a guy living in the far North has more experience at cooking a southern food than does bigwheel. The stores here all have fresh black eyed peas this time of year. Please keep in mind that I have no idea what they are supposed to taste like having only ever eaten mine. I boil the hocks in advance, cool and pick out the meat. Then saute the meat and various veggies, onions, etc. Then add liquid and the black eyed peas and cook untill the peas are done. Seems like it takes several hours but I do this way in advance and warm up for New Years day.

Well I only do black eyed peas once a year..we aint Southerners cept those who come from S. Texas and it aint nuttin like being a Southerner in the Bodice Ripping Novels with the Plantation burning in the background. It sorta mo like being a Mexican Si si? Now you get over E. of Dallas them peckerwoods eat em for every meal along with grits..gag heave sputter. Course they also cook bbq using pine wood. Some of them family trees is just poles if you get my drift...wink wink. Thanks for all the good tips. Try browning the hocks first sometime. That's how I taught Emeril how to do it. :LOL:

bigwheel

Oh yeah!
Georgia folk love them black eyed peas and cornbread!!!!!!
Having them today with some good fried chicken!

Our New Year's supper was:
Cheese grits
Smoked Sausage
Bacon
Eggs
Homemade Buttermilk Biscuits
Mayhaw Jelly and Cane Syrup to dress up the biscuits!

I know where I'm going for New Years next year! That meal looks ridiculous Bruce! You are a Gourmet my friend!

Back
Top Bottom