Help I'm lost!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouChilehead

Senior Cook
Well not lost just can't what I am looking for. I want to build an Ugly Drum Smoker out of a 55 gallon steel drum but I am unable to find them in my area (Baton Rouge) with the removable lid. I don't want to spend too much on this, no more than $30. I want to use this kind because I don't have a welder and I understand the removable lid type is easier to build. Any info about this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

BCH

Not speaking from experience but from knowledge of where folks up here have found drums; check in your area for any local bakeries, soup processors, or any other food service or distributors who might get their products in bulk. Keep an eye on craigslist for your area, sometimes they are listed on there also.

You might want to check the yellow pages also, or google 55 gallon drums + your city name and see if anything pops up.

Your best bet though is to find some type of food service, bakery, restaurant, or food processing plant and give them a call and see if they have any.

Good Luck, sorry I couldn't be more help.

I can get them from Buffalo drum but that does you no good, and if I was to ship one to you it would get hammered is shipping. :( Think Bruce has the right idea. Good luck on your quest.

Pigs

Thanks Bruce and Pigs, I have tried most of what Bruce mentioned except the food service places. There are a few bakeries in the area, I will give them a call!!

May sound weird, but call restaurants that dump lots of grease. I was a Kitchen Manager for several years and we had a company that would buy our grease from us. Ask the Kitchen Manager if he they do this and which company they use, etc. A company like this is bound to have food grade metal drums or will definatley know someone who can find at least one.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom