Guess I'm not cajun enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big dude

Sous Chef
After the posts a while back, I decided to give some of the Cajun Power products a try and the wife and I were disappointed. Admittedly,we are about as far from authorities on cajun food as one can get. For dinner tonight, we had the seafood gumbo with some good LLa shrimp over rice. I followed the one jar of product to one jar of water directions and while it had a nice heat, we thought the the depth of flavor was pretty weak. Did I do something wrong, anything you do differently or is this just the way it tastes? Thanks for any help from you gulf coast experts. :?: :?: :?:

Ahhh yes...you have stumbled over a great truth here Grasshopper. A typical roux based end product is usually purty bland and not real appetizing to the pallette. Thats why a person need to know how to kick it up a notch (To borrow a phrase from my pal Emirl). That is why the Lord invented Louisiana hot sauce and salt n peppa and stuff like that. Now I am a dedicated buy amierickan type person..but ya know that Sirriachi sauce from CA is the best of the genre in my book. Ain't bought no Frank's in years.

bigwheel

Like Bigwheel said you have to learn how to doctor it up to your taste. Most people over do it with red pepper thinking that cajun cooking is super hot.

1st BD pay no attention to BW :LOL: CP gumbo, shrimp stew mix and other CP brown gravy base mixes are the exact same thing. The recipes are on the jars are different. The shrimp stew only calls for 4oz of added water. so ajust to your taste & add more of whatever you like.
There gumbo mix is as good or better than most cajun restaurants down here flavor & amount of seafood in the plated dish wise.

My wife don't like it. My 22 YO son loves it.
The wife likes her mamas better, Go figure...

Its fast easy & authentic. Remember we many ways to any cajun dish...

Its a matter of preference

I think maybe less water may have been the answer. I still have a crawfish stew and crawfish etouffee to try. Should I do anything different than the directions on the jar and will they work equally well with shrimp :?: Thanks for the help from cajun country

PS - I'm trying the CP bloody mary mix as I write this - I really like it, may use it for my next shrimp dish. :D :D

Well you see that etoufe stuff aint all that tasty to start with. Thats why its a good plan not to order any at the restaurant or try making it at home. For Cajun food stick with Gumbo..Dirty Rice and Boudan. Person could throw all the other stuff away and the world would keep on spinning on its axis I think. Sides if you dont use the right kinda oil in the roux it give a person two days of solid burps. Now I keep hearing they make good Andouilla..and they do if a person stick with Chef Folse's recipe purty close. They start out with dry milk and soy protein etc...they can leave me outta that pitcher.

bigwheel

Of course you use Shrimp instead BD. Why don't you cut the water in 1/2 then taste it, add more if needed.

Bigwheel My last name IS Folse Boy!

Chef John Folse is my cousin

007bond-jb said:
Of course you use Shrimp instead BD. Why don't you cut the water in 1/2 then taste it, add more if needed.

Bigwheel My last name IS Folse Boy!

Chef John Folse is my cousin
Least some one in the family can cook :LOL: :LOL: bet Chef John do make no roix out da jar :twisted: :P :LOL:

BD, have you even made seafood gumbo from scratch? If so what do you put in it? I can tell you how to make Cajun Power Gumbo better. Add one can of Trappey's "Creole Gumbo" aka stewed okra with tomatos to the shrimp and 50-50 % mixture of water and CP concentrate. I did this last time and it was unbelievably delicious. this is the only link I can find for the creole okra gumbo: http://store.allencanning.com/prod_det.asp?ProdID=95
The okra will thicken up the gumbo so it aint so runny.. Hope this helps.. I need to order a new gallon BTW... ;)

007bond-jb said:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/index.html

look at seafood Gumbo on the above link

The only thing I don't agree with the Seafood Gumbo recipe is adding the File' to the pot, I was taught to put a little on the rice when you fix a bowl and add more if not enough!!

Ya know I had that same idear in my haid one time till a fella give me a recipe to the best Gumbo I ever seen or heard tell of. They added the file' real early in the recipe. They did not make a roux and it used a lot of tomater sauce. I think it musta been Creole style as opposed to Cajun. Sure do know it tastes mo betta.

bigwheel

BayouChilehead said:
007bond-jb said:
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/soups/index.html

look at seafood Gumbo on the above link

The only thing I don't agree with the Seafood Gumbo recipe is adding the File' to the pot, I was taught to put a little on the rice when you fix a bowl and add more if not enough!!

bigwheel said:
Ya know I had that same idear in my haid one time till a fella give me a recipe to the best Gumbo I ever seen or heard tell of. They added the file' real early in the recipe. They did not make a roux and it used a lot of tomater sauce. I think it musta been Creole style as opposed to Cajun. Sure do know it tastes mo betta.

bigwheel

You're right, over here, for the most part, when it has tomato sauce instead of roux it is usually creole!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom