The Gift of BBQ

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kylew3

Assistant Cook
Hey all,

Last year instead of buying presents for some of the family, I gave vacuumed packed BBQ'd ribs. I think it went over well, so I'm going to try it again, but extend the sampling to pulled pork as well.

The big question is do I lightly sauce the pork before vacuum packing so all they have to do is reheat and serve? Has anybody ever packed pork this way? What kind of sauce was used? I think out here in CA, a lot of people expect a more traditional BBQ sauce with their pork. I'm wondering if that's the best way to go...

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

-Kyle

Most of the time for customers I will use a bastardized "KRAFT" sauce. It boosts the weight and most folk expect it. For family and friends it's sauce on the side.
Myself, I like a vinegar sauce.
1 Pint cider vinegar
1 Table spoon black pepper
1 Table spoon red pepper
1 tea spoon of kosher salt ( I like Diamond )
I let it sit for a week then run it threw a coffee filter.
That's just me and the family. Oh yea, don't forget the slaw on Sammy's

Pigs

Pigs On The Wing BBQ said:
Most of the time for customers I will use a bastardized "KRAFT" sauce. It boosts the weight and most folk expect it. For family and friends it's sauce on the side.
So what you're saying is......you rip your customers off? :shock:

Larry Wolfe said:
[quote="Pigs On The Wing BBQ":3twqyfu3]Most of the time for customers I will use a bastardized "KRAFT" sauce. It boosts the weight and most folk expect it. For family and friends it's sauce on the side.
So what you're saying is......you rip your customers off? :shock:[/quote:3twqyfu3]
YES! And? ;) :LOL:

I do some of the bbq gifts and they go over well. I foil my butts, so collect a lot of juice from them. For pulled pork, I seperate the juice from the fat then add the juice, a little rub, and a very little sauce. I end up with a product that is ready to eat for those who think que is about the meat and it's ready for additional sauce of choice for those who think que is about the sauce. Seems to work well with my friends. I've tested some of my friends with just the meat and juice vs my doctored version and they all prefer the doctored.

Pigs,
Your sauce sounds interesting, I'll have to do a trial run with that. Thanks!

big dude,
That's a neat idea. When do you start foiling to collect the juice?

I don't have a lot of experience with my family and BBQ, so I don't know what they prefer. I get the impression they are the type to want to put together a quick meal, so demanding slaw might be too much :roll: I think I've seen that Llyods BBQ Beef in a tub (http://www.hormelfoods.com/brands/lloyds/) in some of their fridges before...

Perhaps I'll give two ways: Light BBQ sauce with big dude's method and a little vinegar sauce before freezing.

Thanks for the input!

-Kyle

hey kylew3 :)-

I'm not sure about any sauce on the pulled pork :x , I feel the meat should stand on it's own,i.e., you shouldn't need to add sauce :shock:
In the intrest of your gift being for Californians, put the sauce in a bottle on the side. It's how it's doneIMHO :!:
But they say Santa Marina is the real thing- close, but no ..."says the Texan" :roll:

But in all good fun, I would give them a choice...
bbqfans

Pickled baloney (or the sausage of your choice) along with ho made jar of Chow Chow also go over well as gifts. Sorta related to bbq in a round a bout way:) Hey I just had a brilliant idear on how to pack the stuff..I let yall slug it out over the sauce or lack thereof. Would think it need some type of moisture down in their with it. I am with the other fella who say finish in foil..defat the drippings and add that back in along with a little water or black coffee if you aint got enough. Ok now pack the stuff in the little rectangular thin plastic Glad disposable storage containers. Cost 3 or 4 bucks for about 5 at wally world. Pack the pushed pork in there and freeze it. Pull it out and bag suck it. Maked a tidy little brick weighing about 1.5 or 2 lbs or so. Use to use that trick on my brick chili.

bigwheel

Back
Top Bottom