Off to a good start

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouChilehead

Senior Cook
I decided to smoke some ribs today. I put these on at about 11:45 AM and the smoker is keeping a steady 250*. I will post more later.

Looks yummy. Try em meat side down the whole time sometime and try not to spill any of the juice with collects in the depression on the bone. side.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Looks yummy. Try em meat side down the whole time sometime and try not to spill any of the juice with collects in the depression on the bone. side.

bigwheel

I will give that a try, I had heard of meat down but never have done it!!

I hate's to say it... But BW is correct,.... For once :twisted:

Hey BW you ever got yer internet video player workin Boy?!

I hate makin funnys of some texass guy what can't see it in my videos
:twisted:

PM me fur hep on that tissue.... BOY!

Yeppers just give it a whirl one of these days. I was a bit skeptical myself till I tried it a few years back. You can safely put away the tinfoil away till it come time to wrap em stick in the hot box for an hour or two. Or if a person don't mind being messy they could throw em in there upwrapped. I mean the little bride prob gonna be the one to wash it huh? Person could save a lot of money on tinfoil on that kinda deal. The ribs look great turned the right way. JB..as my daddy always say.."Even a blind sow finds an acorn occasionally." :) Fact is and old boy from Tennessee preached me that meat down technique for years afore I ever bothered to try it. Think I got all the latest players. I just usually listening to Classic Country on the Sat radio and I hate to get the audios to conflicting. Hey could you do some with subtitles? Like the furrin movie? That way a person could watch the movie and read the script whilst listening to The Old Possum and Loretta. Let me know Boy. :LOL:

bigwheel

Here they are. I put them in foil and into a ice chest for awhile, but still weren't fall off the bone....close though. I will leave them on the smoker longer next time, I finished them in the oven because I got a late start and the family was buggin me to eat. Note to self.....don't listen to family!!

As always, any comments or suggestions are welcome!!

I think I'm going to be skeptable for a few more years on the meat side down thing. Don't know why. Just cause I guess. Especially with this backwards cooking Chubby. Now on the Primo or the Stumps, possibly.
I cook for color and then wrap for tender. And I don't think grill marks look good on ribs. Course I ain't judging them, they are.

Now if someone was to offer a real good explaination of why it is better other than "An old man from tim buk two" said to. I'd be willing to listen.

:)

A local chef's helper loaded up the Southern Pride meatside down early one morning some time ago. By the time he discovered it they were well into the cook, he noticed the moisture in the curved backside and decided to leave them be. He has never gone back to the meat side up. I'm guessing that moisture is rendering it's way down through the ribs, like a pork butt renders the fat.

You did a great job Chet. I was just kidding with ya last night on the radio show. Hope you can make it to Breaux Bridge in May ;)

Thanks to all the input. JB I thinks I will do just that. I saw on that Ribs Paradise show on the travel channel that most of the rib joints were cookin them that way but didn't think twice about it. I do know that wrap them in foil and putting the in a cooler help a bit too. Again thanks all....even you Big Wheel :D !!

surfinsapo said:
You did a great job Chet. I was just kidding with ya last night on the radio show. Hope you can make it to Breaux Bridge in May ;)

I know you were Sapo, don't worry I ain't the kind to get my feather ruffled about petty stuff. I think I will be able to go in May!!

Back
Top Bottom