Weekend Brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cliff H.

Master Chef
I told the wife to wake me up at 5:30 am Sat morning. At 5:30 am on this Sat morning the wife woke me up. At 5:31 on this Sat morning I said.......I don't think so,,,,,,,, and went back to bed and didn't wake up till 9:00 am on this Sat morning. :shock:

I am now doing the brisket tonight like it is supposed to be done. OVER NIGHT.

img_173752_0_6e875afbe3f520ce15acbad0f76aa6b8.jpg

Well mo betta late than neva as my dear old Mama used to say. Looks like you got some great beginnings going on there. Ya know I knock out a big old whopper of a brisket in 8 hrs. on my electrified Brinkmann. You can put it on there at nine AM and have it for supper. As good as I can figger out from talking to a fella who stuck a gauge in his one time...it cooks in the general vicinity of 290. Guess the outdoors temp influences it some but so far I aint seen much differences in finishing times from hot to kewlish weather.

bigwheel

Cliff, great "Hutsons" think alike! I got up at 5:30 this morning and have a 9 lb flat on the WSM and two chicks in the brine! This is my maiden cook with the WSM, but I fired it up on a test burn and it was pretty simple. I mean you have to figure Nick, Bruce,Larry, Greg, Finney, Cappy, and countless other could learn on one, jest about any plebian could too, right?

I wish I had known about wsm's way sooner.

Temp spiked after six hours. That was the only issue that I had to deal with. I believe that I have fewer issues with my uds but I wanted this cook to take longer than eight hours so I could get some sleep.

Ater 10 hours the brisket is at 160 in the flat. I am going to poke around with the probe and see if that is accurate because this brisket was only 12 lbs.

img_173767_0_e425b064978c9b7df909ec1971b4373a.jpg

Woodman said:
Cliff, great "Hutsons" think alike! I got up at 5:30 this morning and have a 9 lb flat on the WSM and two chicks in the brine! This is my maiden cook with the WSM, but I fired it up on a test burn and it was pretty simple. I mean you have to figure Nick, Bruce,Larry, Greg, Finney, Cappy, and countless other could learn on one, jest about any plebian could too, right?

:shock: :eek:

You heard me!

Winds are around 25 sustained and gusting to 35. Temp, thankfully about 43. She is holding around 230 deg. for about 6 hours now. If I have to, I am going to finish it in the oven while I do the chickens.

Need to see the pics Woody to believe it! You know the drill! :LOL:

Cliff the brisket looks great, are you going to foil it? 8)

This was an experimental cook. I made a rub that smelled and tasted good but in the end, it needed more salt and I used to much of it but that is a whole other thread.

Injected with broth, wooster, apple juice and left over coffee from this morning.

All in all it was nothing to write home about. I took one bite and knew that I was going to do something different on the next one.

I wound up taking the whole thing to a Church pot luck tonight were it was re heated to 160 and then devoured in about 15 min.

img_173851_0_ac21fd5b0d7b39e5324d8f4c04df8caf.jpg

img_173851_1_d8416591b61ba223d00f2fedbbe32c74.jpg

Cliff the brisket sure looks good!

I think you are doing too much when you're cooking briskets. I see you like experimenting, but I think you may be happier with a simple brisket. Either with a salt, pepper and garlic rub or just a plain bottled rub. Try cooking one like that and then if you feel you need more flavor in the end, mix leftover coffee or coke with the natural brisket juices and reduce down by half and pour that over the slices. The simplicity of the brisket juice mixed with whatever you rub it with plus the coffee or coke really works well with beef in my opinion.

Larry Wolfe said:
I think you are doing too much when you're cooking briskets.

I agree. I am trying to make a brisket that has lots of sugar based flavor....but my Texas roots keep telling me that it is not right and needs something. :?

I will let you know when I hit it. ;)

Cliff H. said:
[quote="Larry Wolfe":ayx3h6se]I think you are doing too much when you're cooking briskets.

I agree. I am trying to make a brisket that has lots of sugar based flavor....but my Texas roots keep telling me that it is not right and needs something. :?

I will let you know when I hit it. ;)[/quote:ayx3h6se]

Cliff if you want it sweet, give it a liberal coating of brown or turbinado sugar when you foil it. That works well with ribs, should work fine with brisket too!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom