Which one do I use?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BayouChilehead

Senior Cook
I have read several of you putting Boston Butts in an ice chest to rest then pull it. My question is, which type of ice chest do you prefer, the standard Igloo style or a good styrofoam type? Any and all comments and/or suggestions are welcome and will be greatly appreciated!!

Any good cooler will work, but since I invariably hit the sides with my greasy gloves or get a little leak in the foil, I like to use a cooler I don't mind throwing away and replacing occasionally - ie - styrofoam.

I use a sryrofoam one that I received steaks in from Omaha. It is about 2 inchs thick and seems to hold the heat in the best.

I use an Igloo cooler (for obvious reasons ;) ) and line it with a garbage bag, to keep the inside tidy, in the event of leaks.

I have also used the meat shipper styrofoam type of cooler to good effect . . . but my team decided (behind my back, none the less) that the styrofoam cooler was better for keeping THEIR beer cold . . . so my decision to continue using it was over ruled! :LOL:

Since I only cook two butts at a time, I use one of these:
pACE-982428reg.jpg

which is just about the perfect size. I generally put some newspaper in the bottom, and put a dish towel or two over the top of the butts while they're holding.

Big old thick styro box will hold the heat in much mo betta than the high dollar Igloos. As several others has mentioned Omaha steaks box can't be beat. You can also buy a decent model at Academy Sports for 10 bucks or so. Been a year or so since I priced em. I personally use an old Igloo Picnic basket. Thin plastic with double lids on top. Aint as good as styro but I aint anal about it. I try to foil the items then line the bottom with foil and put folded up newspapers on bottom and top before shutting the lid. On T-day it keep a 23 lb Turkey too hot to handle in the middle at hour 7. Only bad part it was so broad it tore off a leg trying to stuff it in there.

bigwheel

I gave up on the coolers. Seems they all turned out to be "Throw-away" types, no matter how much I paid for them.

I found a couple of Cambros at close-out prices and now I use the coolers as they were intended...to keep my BEER COLD.

BOB

Adrienne said:
I use an Igloo cooler (for obvious reasons ;) ) and line it with a garbage bag, to keep the inside tidy, in the event of leaks.

I have also used the meat shipper styrofoam type of cooler to good effect . . . but my team decided (behind my back, none the less) that the styrofoam cooler was better for keeping THEIR beer cold . . . so my decision to continue using it was over ruled! :LOL:
Thats got to be one huge styrofoam cooler :LOL:

ronbeaux50 said:
10-4 on the Beer Cold.
I use a Cambro as well.

ok I have heard some of you mention this Cambro. I went to the sight and they have containers and then they have the ones that look like a small fridge. which one do y'all use??

Also I have used the styrofoam in the past to keep the taters, corn, sausage, and other good things hot when I do crawfish boils. I have concluded that styro wins in the keep things hot long from the great answers I got here. Thanks all, and keep the suggestions and comments coming!!

I bought a good sized non-styrofoam cooler from BJ's for the express purpose of holding butts and briskets...if the foil leaks then I just wash it out afterward...no biggie!

Styrofoam is not very GREEN :shock:

I've got an old Coleman I've had forever, medium-size chest type, I dunno, 36-40 qt.? I double-foil the meat, wrap it in newspaper, wrap that in a couple of old bath towels, and into the cooler. I've left meat that way for as much as six hours and it's still hot when it comes out.

--John

I've used the styrofoam ones every nw and then, but the kids have been known to break them apart "by accident" in about 20 seconds, so I have a couple of Coleman's too and they do the job real fine.

I double wrap in foil, pack them as tightly into the cooler as I can without squishing any, then fill any remaining space with towels that only see the cooler and the wash.

As Unity said, I've pulled meat out of the pit at 200, wrapped and cooler'd it for 5 1/2 - 6 hours, and still had it at 160 internal when I pulled it and served it.

BayouChilehead said:
ronbeaux50 said:
10-4 on the Beer Cold.
I use a Cambro as well.
ok I have heard some of you mention this Cambro. I went to the sight and they have containers and then they have the ones that look like a small fridge. which one do y'all use??
I guess mine look like a small 'fridge. The door open on the front, and it holds steam table pans and like ronbeaux says, half sheet pans. I did not know that it held those half sheet pans 'til I read the reply, so I went out and tried it. It works great! Thanks for the tip, ronbeaux.

Butts will still be to hot to pull apart 4 hours later.

BOB

Bob In Fla. said:
BayouChilehead said:
ronbeaux50 said:
10-4 on the Beer Cold.
I use a Cambro as well.
I guess mine look like a small 'fridge. The door open on the front, and it holds steam table pans and like ronbeaux says, half sheet pans. I did not know that it held those half sheet pans 'til I read the reply, so I went out and tried it. It works great! Thanks for the tip, ronbeaux.

Butts will still be to hot to pull apart 4 hours later.

BOB

Your welcome big guy! I like the half sheet pans cause you can just throw a wrapped brisket or pork butt on it and slide it right in.

Now one for you.

The other day I transported a 4" deep steam table pan in there full of baked beans, ducked taped down, and it still opened up and slung beans everywhere!#@!!???

Well listen up young man. Get yourself some of the Igloo water jug deals at the local Wally World. They was six bucks last time I bought a batch. They will keep hot liquids hot and cold stuff cold. Dump the beans down there and attach the lid. Them beans still be hot next week and you can throw it outta the pickup and the contents still be in tact. Learnt that one from my old pal Danny Gaulden. Also can serve double duty as commerical grade Margaritoe on the rocks dispensers. Us seasoned citizens dont enjoy the snow cone type ya know? Frozen margaritoes is for wimmen and yankmes.

bigwheel

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom