Smoked Duck

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gary in VA

Head Chef
Started with a duck I got at the grocery store. Seasoned it with salt, pepper and itialian seasoning. Squeezed orange over it and stuffed the peals in the cavity.

Here we are just getting started on the Primo, smoked with cherry wood running a temp of about 350-375

Here we are at about 140 in the breast.

and now off on the platter. I glazed it the last 10 minutes with the Orange sauce packet that was included with the duck. Took it off at 165

The wife made mac & cheese and broccoli to go with it... we were all happy with the taste. The kids even ate it.

Hey next time try to buy one which is alive. Me and mine are very big animul lovers and have had about every pet in the world cept for lions and tigers and stuff like that..hippos etc....and at the head of the liine as a great pet is a duck. It get 10 below zero or 120 in the shade they good to go. June Bugs..grass hoppers..crickets dont stand a chance with a duck on the premises. They will either whup all the dawgs..fall in love em..or leave em alone. It must be a pecking order type deal. They will stay up all night at swimming parties waiting for a person to dump the scum bucket so they can eat all the bugs. Kindly dont be cannibalizing ducks. They also survive just fine on the cheapest dry dawg food a person can buy at Wally World. Thanks. PS..edit..if it is a lady duck they will lay one a day most days. They mighty rich. One duck egg equal about 5 chicken eggs in terms of nutritional value. I think it the dawg food which cuz this phenonomenon. Just guessing of course.

bigwheel

Gary that duck came out awesome. don't listen to bigwheel, He is from Russia and doesn't know much English. Great meal!!! ;)

Very nice Garence! I did one of those exact ducks one time on my rotisserie and really liked it as well!

Woodman said:
If you have any leftovers, it makes GREAT gumbo!!!

Leftovers???? ...Riiiiiiiiiight... I bout ate til I popped... that thing was so good.

I seen a goose in the supermarket freezer.... we might have to try that soon.

Larry Wolfe said:
Very nice Garence! I did one of those exact ducks one time on my rotisserie and really liked it as well!

I did one on the rotis on the gasser once... I think i bout caught it on fire cause of the grease.

Before I did this one, I read to poke holes in the skin to let out the rendered fat & to help crisp up the skin. I believe it worked purdy well.

Alex ( my 2 1/2 year old) says, "mmmm good Barbeque Dad" :D

Here's how I do duck, copied from a post on the smoke ring, in case anyone thinks it look familiar.

You got a good color on that bird, I might have to get a duck or goose for turkey day!

Is this going to be a wild duck or a farmed duck?

The difference is the amount of fat on the bird, farmed normally having more fat.

I like to take a fork with sharp tines, and prick through the skin from under the wings right across the breast and down the front of the body then over the hips on the back.

This helps give the fat some way out.

If it's a wild duck I'll give it a bacon body warmer, it it's farmed I don't normally bother.

I cook my ducks on a cooling rack in a pan, there is normally enough room for the smoke to move all round the bird.

I like to stuff an orange half inside the body cavity, and use the other half to squeeze over the outside of the bird. A sprinkle of salt and pepper and sit it breast up to start.

I give the duck 30 - 40 minutes before I look at it the first time, you'll see fat in the pan, lift the pan off the pit, cover the duck with a cloth towel to keep hold of it and drain the drippings into another bowl, return the pan and duck to the pit, give it 15 - 20 minutes, drain it again, repeat every 15 - 20 minutes.

You can keep doing this till you take it out and there is no fat in the pan, you are now within 15 minutes of the duck being fully cooked, turn it onto it's back and give it one last 15 minutes cooking.

Remove from the pit and tent it with foil for 15 minutes, serve to your drooling guests.

If it was a wild duck instead of a farmed one, then when the bacon stops giving up its grease, you have to start basting the bird with the grease that had already been collected, keep going till the duck has reached 165 F Internal in the thickest part of the breast.

Good Luck, take pictures, tell us how it goes.

Jar roux , schmar roux!!!Seriously, next time, do two and try a good smoked duck and andouille gumbo.

Woodman said:
Jar roux , schmar roux!!!Seriously, next time, do two and try a good smoked duck and andouille gumbo.
I remember a guy that used to do comps...my first year at oink made some of that....It was real good stuff...wonder whatever happened to that guy...someone said he was on tour singing a red dog song :LOL:

The wife made mac & cheese and broccoli to go with it... we were all happy with the taste. The kids even ate it.
[/quote]

Ya know, maybe that's what my Kraft mac and cheeze is missing. Real cheeze and real flavor. Didn't know duck goes with it. That looks really good.

Marlin Perkins: Thanks for the duck narration ;) . One pitful of owning ducks (like chickens), they pee those bugs everywhere. I don't think my HOA would let me own anything that I can eat. :(

Back
Top Bottom