UPDATED...Making Canadian Bacon and Pea Meal Bacon Finally!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cleglue

Head Chef
I finally found a little time to try making the Canadian Bacon and Pea Meal Bacon. I only used one lion and cut it into 4 pieces. The pork lion is in the brine sitting in the basement refrigerator. I used the Dial o Matic Injector I bought from Wolfe Rub. It sure works great.

Wittdog,

This lion had the silver skin under the fat cap. Is that normal? I trimmed a lot of it off 3 of the pieces but left it on one to see if it really matters since it was under the fat. Any thoughts?

Yes its normal to be under the fat cap...I usually trim most of it off...it doesn't matter much if you leave it on...it will pull away from the meat with the fat when its cooked.
Love that dial o matic

Can't wait to see the results

I rolled the cured loin in corn meal to make Pea Meal Bacon yesterday morning and fried up a batch. It was excellent.

Then I smoked the other cured loins to make Canadian bacon. I started smoking the lions about 9:30 AM and it took until around 2AM until it reached 143 degrees (that is when the alarm went off to check the temperature. I used apple and hickory sawdust in the sausage maker smoker.

Wittdog,

How do you keep the Canadian Bacon? Also it is smoked and cured so it shouldn’t have to be cooked right?

First man oh man that looks great nice job. I could go for one of those sammies right now.

You are correct at that finished temp the CB does not need to be cooked inorder to use it. My advice to you is to slice it and vac pac some and freeze it (other wise it will all go :LOL: )...the rest we plan on eating I just slice and keep in a plastic bag.
You can eat it like you would deli ham...typically we eat some this way and we will also just warm it up some in a pan with some butter...I see some eggs benidict in your future.
Nice job....that pea meal is some good stuff as well and as you know needs to be cooked because its raw cured pork loin.
Again great job...I'll have some on a everything bagel with cream cheese :LOL:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom