green chile:)-

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bbqfans

Cook
I'm looking for a recipe for Green Chili, :arrow: (notice I didn't say Chile).

While in N.Mex. I came across a restaurant in Mountainaire that served a dish they called Green Chili. Lots of fresh roasted chiles and ground meat were included in the mix, along with some other ingredients. This was very Yummy! But I haven't been able to get it right yet! Tried several times with no success; the flavour isn't right.
This has the consistency of (RED) chili, while using green chiles to flavor instead of the red chile powder.
If anyone has an idea please post the recipe as I long to return to the flavour I found in the Land of Enchantment ( along with Posole,Mutton stew, fry brread, etc.).
Yes, Carol Faye, I still care! :roll:

Well being a yankee from PA think maybe you outta buy some:) Unless you got some kinda indoor combo peppa and ganja operation which run year round. Even then the geography aint right for hatches. They got to come from Hatch or they aint Hatches. Comprendeh?
Best green New Mexico stuff I ever got come from Arizona. Looking for a place to eat along I 40 and seemed to be stuck with eating at a Truck Stop which all the good buddies on the CB say wasnt worth a caca. Well took a detour off into the next small town we hit headed West and found this little dump that was packed with local license plates. I immedately slammed on brakes and got treated to the best green chili enchiladas ever seen on earth. Wished I could remember the name of the town.
I know it was somewhere between Vega and Flagstaff.

bigwheel

When traveling between visits to the kids in Phoenix and Salinas CA, we make it a point to stop for chile verde at an unlikely place in Barstow, the restaurant attached to the Quality Inn (window seats overlook the pool and, in season, sunbathers). It's called Los Domingos. Worth a stop.

--John
(Chile verde is a slow-cooked stew of pork, tomatillos, and green chiles. Wonderful flavor.)

Well, doesn't seem too hard....

When you say meat...were you able to pick up what is was? (Probably pork or chicken) ... the rest is just using green chile's as implicated: Cubanelle's, jalap's, green habs, wax, banana's..etc

Tomatillo's or green maters is good too if ya add a bit o sweet stuff.

For thickening.... Many choices and opinions.... corn flour/Masa, pureed veggies, certain roots... I betta shuttup or Bigwheel will slap me for giving SOME of the secrets away. ;D

Well first thing to learn is they have a seaon..which is now over. Quite a few of the grocery stores got to roasting them on the sidewalk a few years back. Now dont mean roasting them directly on the sidewalk but with this propane fired twirling wire basket thang they use to roast em was sitting on the sidewalk. Know of one place which still does them like that in season..sure there is a bunch mo. Any well stocked fruit stand should have the capability if the owner's got good sense. They get 8 bucks a pound for em roasted and peeled up a little over where I shop. Person can get purty good T bones for that kinda money sometimes. They freeze real well and all that rot will say the hawgs love em. You can buy whole and raw in 50 pound bags or small amounts in the can. Sure I will be chatized here but I can't tell much difference twixt the two myself...and you know I got an edumacated pallette. Right?

bigwheel

Well maybe I'm chasing something that I already found. I just checked the can of chiles on my shelf (been using them for years) and it says, 'Green Chiles' by Mexican Foods. We use them in recipes that ask for them.
They are nothing special, are mushy and have little flavor. I can't figure what the fuss is about.
Maybe that's why fresh don't make it up this way.

Have to agree ya on this deal. Very mild flavor..little heat. Certain dishes just aint right if you dont have none..corn casserole for example. Anybody with good sense would not spoil a pot of chili with em. I have seen some canned versions which say Hatch as the brand name. They also good to sub out for japs in Armadiller eggs if a person can't stand much heat..such as wimmin..chillins..yankees etc. :LOL:

bigwheel

Rag said:
Well maybe I'm chasing something that I already found. I just checked the can of chiles on my shelf (been using them for years) and it says, 'Green Chiles' by Mexican Foods. We use them in recipes that ask for them.
They are nothing special, are mushy and have little flavor. I can't figure what the fuss is about.
Maybe that's why fresh don't make it up this way.

Back
Top Bottom