Chiliquiles, RB style

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ronbeaux50

Head Chef
A friend made these and I watched him like a hawk. Hope I got it right, with only a few changes since it seems there are many ways to do these.......

Start by frying stale white corn tortillas
img_170535_0_6c27358532f2338cdb9cc53de78efb60.jpg

Then start making layers in a baking dish of the torts, a mix of chili sauce and tomatoes with green chilis, saute'd onions and garlic, and some cheese. Once it all layered in top with more cheese, tomato, and some tomatilla sauce.

img_170535_1_223bb1993da3f2f038d103fc6f55eeae.jpg

img_170535_2_35e48a5d9f9d806e9ceeaaee5356481f.jpg

Then pop in the oven at 400 till it bubbles, about 35 minutes. Top with some sour cream and eat!

img_170535_3_c32d40b86615f79d271e5e3eb50887fe.jpg

img_170535_4_dba99d0bcdf550f29371354109c448ef.jpg

img_170535_5_373249a37619b777fd417e139dde434f.jpg

Well thought the warden makes a purty good Mexican Casserole..but think it be a close race compared to this one. Now would kindly appreciate your definiton of "chili sauce." That phraseology covers a lot of territory. Thanks.

bigwheel

bigwheel said:
Well thought the warden makes a purty good Mexican Casserole..but think it be a close race compared to this one. Now would kindly appreciate your definiton of "chili sauce." That phraseology covers a lot of territory. Thanks.

bigwheel

I used 'Bennetts Original Chili Sauce' with a can of diced tomatos whit green chilis. It was a little 'tangy' for my taste and not near hot enough. But the wife was hungry so I kept it mild.

Maybe I could get some 'warden' Mexican caserol some day??

Well thanks for the heads up on Bennets. I never heard of it before but I will start keeping an eye peeled for it. Maybe it some type of regional specialty or I don't often go shopping for chili sauce:) Now the warden do use half a can of Wolf Brand hot dawg sauce in her grand prize winning cheese on onyawn enchiladas. I betcha them two items is kissing cousins of some type. I think maybe I have posted the Warden's Mexican Casserole recipe on here previously. It prob not be as good as whut you got cuz you got fresh and mo exotic ingredients in yours..so I'm sorta ashamed to share it. I will go looky and see if I can find it and if not I will post it over in the recipe section. The wife of a friend in college gave her the recipe about 40 years ago. Aint sure who originally thunk it up.

bigwheel

ronbeaux50 said:
bigwheel said:

bigwheel

I used 'Bennetts Original Chili Sauce' with a can of diced tomatos whit green chilis. It was a little 'tangy' for my taste and not near hot enough. But the wife was hungry so I kept it mild.

Maybe I could get some 'warden' Mexican caserol some day??

I like it! I always end up with old corn chips around the place and this would be a cool way to cook them up. I moved out to Minnesota a few years ago and this kind of seems similar to what they call "hotdish" out here. They kind of make a casserole and top it with tater tots, but this recipe could be a kind of "mexican hotdish". Like I said I like it, I may have to borrow this recipe.

Back
Top Bottom