My first brisket in the WSM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Captain Morgan

Chef Extraordinaire
I suck at brisket.

Larry is very busy today, but he'll be here tonight, as long as everyone else gets their share out of the cooler! He's one of our resident "answer guys."

What I like about this board is the quick response time...I'm sure some other brisket q-perts will be here shortly.

I can't see anything wrong with your method though.

I've never cooked a brisket that small before, but your prep & cooking plan is sound. If this ones not perfect you'll know more on the next!!

I did one a little smaller than that a month or so ago. I put it fat side down and put a layer of bacon over the top. I took it off at 165*, wrapped it in foil with a little dry red wine (less than 1/4 cup) and put it back on until it hit 190*. Took it off, let it rest for 1 1/2 - 2 hours and sliced away. Good eats. When I foiled, I removed the bacon, saved it and when I took the brisket out of the foil, I used the juices and the bacon to make a nice gravy for it! K. Kruger gave me that idea! God that guy is a genius!

Everything looks good Cruising. I've never cooked a brisket that small either. Most briskets hit a plateau at a certain temp, every one is different though. I've had them plateau at 165 and 135, but if you notice it hitting a plateau, I'd wrap it in aluminum foil ASAP. The biggest problem you will have with a brisket that small will be keeping it moist. I'd take it up to about 180 pull it from the fire, wrap it in a towel and put it in an ice chest for 2-3 hours. Save the meat drippings to pour over the brisket after slicing (Make sure you slice against the grain).

Good luck and let us know how it all turns out!

Pictures help the q perts here with giving you advice...if you screw up, post every detail and every picture you can....I guarantee you your second cook will be better than the first if you do.

Back
Top Bottom