WSM smoke tar question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surfinsapo

Master Chef
What do yall use to remove all the goo from the WSM lid so it doesn't stick once the unit cools off... I took some paper towels and got some of it off, but there is much more... thanks in advance... :D

It's not grease.. It's that creosote stuff or whatever you call it...Kinda like resin from a pot pipe.... :shock: but not... :LOL:

You can try "Formula 420" they usually sell it at the head shop...hahaha ...Just kiddin' I have the same thing but kinda like it cause it helps seal the lid to the body of my WSM..

Sometimes it hits my arm or hand and leaves nasty black marks though :? :)

Sapo,

try a burn with no wood.....only bricks or lump. If you still have the problem then move to the smoking wood.

I realized that my problem was the wood I was smoking with because the problem didn't materialize with charcoal only.

I noticed that you had a rather large pc of wood in the mix with your chicken cook. I think wsm's prefer small breed bite size food. ;)

Bottom line Sapo is you're not getting a clean burn and that creates soot...........Make sure the wood you are using is fully seasoned and make sure your top vent is always 100% open for the entire cook. Also make sure you have at least one bottom vent partially open at full time. Without proper airflow (fresh oxygen from the bottom vents and exhaust from the top vent) your wood chunks will smolder vs. burn, when they smolder they're creating the soot build up.

Larry Wolfe said:
Bottom line Sapo is you're not getting a clean burn and that creates soot...........Make sure the wood you are using is fully seasoned and make sure your top vent is always 100% open for the entire cook. Also make sure you have at least one bottom vent partially open at full time. Without proper airflow (fresh oxygen from the bottom vents and exhaust from the top vent) your wood chunks will smolder vs. burn, when they smolder they're creating the soot build up.

And bitter tasting bark

Thanks everyone. I hope I can use it again someday. The lid is now welded to the main part... :shock: I found some info at virtual bullet. He says to put white vinegar or simple green to clean that soot off. I am using mesquite wood and it isn't bitter and is seasoned.. I am going to try to get this baby back open and then work on some preventive measures. When are the new ones coming out?

surfinsapo said:
Thanks everyone. I hope I can use it again someday. The lid is now welded to the main part... :shock: I found some info at virtual bullet. He says to put white vinegar or simple green to clean that soot off. I am using mesquite wood and it isn't bitter and is seasoned.. I am going to try to get this baby back open and then work on some preventive measures. When are the new ones coming out?

Sapo, build a fire in the cooker. When everything heats up you will be able to get the lid off. ;)

Finney said:
surfinsapo said:

Sapo, build a fire in the cooker. When everything heats up you will be able to get the lid off. ;)

Ok, thanks Chris... I'm going to give it a rest for a few days if I can.. That WSM is addictive to cook on... :shock:

Follow up... I got it apart and the white vinegar worked like a champ.. Cleaned it right off.. I am going to take all of yalls advice and carry on from there.. Thanks a million folks.. I don't know what I would do with out yall...!!
Have a good week!!! :D

wittdog said:
Cleaning typically isn't an issue...I think it was the mesquite wood... :LOL:
yeah, I think you are right. I'll just use Huisache from now on... :D

Mar, don't let that discourage you. I've had my WSM five years and never cleaned it. I've never seen anything like the stuff in SS's pics.

Mar, any pit you get you'll have to clean. I have 2 WSM's and never had an issue...and this is very minor to clean up you'd have to do on an offset... :shock: 8) :LOL:

The other thing about that "crud" is that it helps seal the lid... A little bit isn't a bad thing. Also, if I recall, a clean, shiny interior of a WSM will run hotter from the reflective heat. I want to say my first burn in my WSM ran around 170 with all the vents almost shut down...

I'm going to make another brisket on Saturday with hickory and see if it makes more goo.. also I am going to use smaller pieces this time. not tree trunks... :shock:

Back
Top Bottom