Butts, Spares, Chicken, & Biscuits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kloset BBQR

Executive Chef
Still learning on the new pit and decided to do a practice cook this morning. I've had some radical differences on the reading of the thermometer and the temps at grate level as evidenced by the Maverick probes. For now I'm going with the probes as being the more reliable source.

I thought I'd test for hot and cold spots in the pit by doing the biscuit test. Got a bag of cheap biscuits at Sam's Club yesterday and threw them on early this morning. Had fairly uniform temps from left to right. Temps from top rack to bottom were about 70 degrees hotter.

I put on a butt about 5:30 this morning. I'll be put on a couple of racks of spares around 10 this morning and then put some thighs on around noon.
So far so good. Getting nice clean smoke. I'm using some red oak and hickory that I just picked up this week. Fire smells great. Here are some pics:

Fired the pit up very early this morning (approximately 3 am)

Biscuits Anyone? Hot and Smokey!

Pork Butt Taking In The Smoke

Nice clear early morning smoke

Awesome looking pit, D...can't wait to see it in person! Were you told by Jamie to not take a lot of pictures and post them on the internet?

No quite the contrary, he wants the publicity!

He's got a booth set up with three pits this weekend at the American Royal!

I found the door thermometer on my MC to be out to lunch. Way different than probes. Even though I use probes, I stuck a close nipple with a cap on it where the thermometer should be. I then drilled a small hole in the cap, and inserted a turkey frying thermometer which reaches down near grate level. That reads very close to the probes.
Factory pit therms suck.

Thanks for all the comments everyone. John, you wouldn't want to eat those biscuits. Way to smokey for me. The dogs loved them though.

Everything came out great. In addition to the ribs, chicken, and butt we had some mac and cheese, some baked beans, cole slaw, and my wife made some pumpkin cheese cake with a praline sauce that was excellent. Here are the pics of the finished product:

Back
Top Bottom