When to Wrap

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

backyardbbq

Senior Cook
I'm cooking a boneless pork but and I'm wondering at what temp should I wrap it in foil or should I not wrap it at all.

Wrap it after you think it has enough smoke and maybe 1 hour before finished.. Then leave wrapped until it cools a bit.. keep the juice too.. Makes killer gravy... :D

backyardbbq said:
No it's not stuffed, although I may have to try that some time.
I'd take it to about 155ish pull it off and tent with the foil for maybe 20 minutes.
Good luck! ;)

Burnt Food Dude said:
Are you pulling or slicing?

Pulled > Take the butt to 160 - 165 and double wrap it in foil. Keep it foiled till 195 - 200 degrees. Take it out of the smoker, wrap in towels or put in a cooler for and hour or so. Take out of foil and pull.

Sliced > Take the butt to 165 -170, take it out of the smoker and double wrap in foil. Wrap in towels for an hour, unwrap and slice.
Same here except I wrap everything at 160.

So far all of my best Butts - I've pulled off at 190 then wrapped in foil (add a few tblspoons of apple juice) and wrapped in 2 thin beach towels and put in a cooler for 2 hours then I pull them with 2 forks so it a "thin" pull. Our altitude is roughly 5000 feet in Littleton CO. That may have alot to do with all of the diferent answeres you might encounter here on this great site! I hope this helps! ;) :D

I wrapped at 150 and cooked to 180 and set in the microwave (didn't run it) and let it rest for 20 minutes and then pulled it. It pulled ok, but not as easy as I hoped. The next one I'll cook to 190 and let it rest before I go to pull it. I'll try to get some pictures up later.

backyardbbq said:
I wrapped at 150 and cooked to 180 and set in the microwave (didn't run it) and let it rest for 20 minutes and then pulled it. It pulled ok, but not as easy as I hoped. The next one I'll cook to 190 and let it rest before I go to pull it. I'll try to get some pictures up later.

Definately pics! :D

At 160 I wrap. At 185 pull and wrap again in foil and in a cooler at least 1-2 hours, then unwrap let sit for at least 10 minutes, then ready to eat

Back
Top Bottom